Thread: Router collet for shaper?

Router collet for shaper?

No picked up this small bridgewood shaper locally.

I'm looking at doing mostly smaller projects and I also don't want to invest in shaper cutters for everything I need.

And I don't have a regular router table.

It appears that there is a nut underneath holding the spindle in.

Does anybody know if I can get a router collet to use with this? It looks very similar to one that grizzly sells.

If not I may consider selling it and buying a router table.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the Grizzly 3hp shaper, and the router bit spindle. Why not call Grizzly and ask if their spindle will work?

I think there is a good possibility that the grizzly one would fit. Having a shaper that will take router bits can be a handy feature when you need to make a small run of a special moulding by using a combination of cutters to avoid grinding or
    buying a new cutter. But they don't make good router tables since the rpm is so much slower than a router.

The spindle speed is 8900RPM, which is too slow for 90% of the router bits I spin, even the larger ones. There are a couple of small shapers with router spindles at work, get used occasionally, the cut quality is marginal IMO even when feed rate is reduced to compensate. Hard to feed slow enough. Maybe its ok for occasional use, but if you really want to spin router bits, make a router table. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, literally just a router bolted to a piece of plywood with a 2X4 fence will work. As to whether or not grizzly parts are interchangeable, no idea but they sure look similar.

Thanks for the responses. I think a router table is what I really need.

Might be cheaper to buy a few shaper cutters than get all the parts to make a nice router table. My router tables don't see much use since I bought my shaper.

I agree about the speed. Even 10K is too slow for most router bits. I have router collets for my import shaper and they just sit there gathering dust and rust.