Thread: Need Help Identifying Veneer

Need Help Identifying Veneer

I hope I'm posting this to the right forum. If not, please forgive me. I have a table in my shop that the owner overwatered a plant on top of. Of course the veneer was damaged beyond repair. I would like to re-veneer the section of the table that was damaged, but so far haven't found the type of wood this is. The only clues I have is it's been passed down at least generations, and that it may be from England, where the family is from. I'm hoping the collective brain of Sawmill Creek can shed some light on this.2014-11-10 09.29.33.jpg

Take a look at Claro walnut.

Blog Entries
    My first thought was that it looked like cherry. The blotched places also seem to say cherry. But I'm no expert. Let's see what others say.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Looks like cherry to me. If it's really old, the veneer will be thicker than modern veneer. You can find thick veneer but it's not as common.

Also, if it's cherry, it will have changed color over the years and new veneer will not color match. My recommendation is to leave it mismatched and let time age the new veneer until it's approximately the same color as the old. It'll take 6 months or more, depending on how exposed the table is to light.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-11-2014 at 2:36 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

English walnut? Doesn't look like any cherry I've ever seen. I'd try really hard to save it rather than replacing it, but the damage isn't evident to me in the photo.

My first guess is also Cherry ..

Blog Entries
    This is how most of these "what kind of wood is this" threads go. You get a couple folks saying it's one species and then someone always say "That doesn't look like any <insert species here> I've ever seen!, I think its some other wood." (that looks nothing like what the first guess was). I think about the best we can do is say what it definitely is not. So I'm sure it's not oak! Can we all agree on that?
    I also would say that Mike has pointed out some issues that will cause you major problems if you attempt to replace only part of the veneer.
    And for all of the above reasons I think Roger has some of the best advice, to do everything you can to save the existing veneer. I think it's about the only way you will get it looking anywhere near to what it was before the damage.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    This is how most of these "what kind of wood is this" threads go. You get a couple folks saying it's one species and then someone always say "That doesn't look like any <insert species here> I've ever seen!, I think its some other wood." (that looks nothing like what the first guess was). I think about the best we can do is say what it definitely is not. So I'm sure it's not oak! Can we all agree on that?
    I also would say that Mike has pointed out some issues that will cause you major problems if you attempt to replace only part of the veneer.
    And for all of the above reasons I think Roger has some of the best advice, to do everything you can to save the existing veneer. I think it's about the only way you will get it looking anywhere near to what it was before the damage.
    Yes sir, he nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    This is how most of these "what kind of wood is this" threads go. .
    OK, point well taken. I don't know what it is. My guess was based on being reminded of English Walnut by the dark swirls through the wood. Here's an example English-Walnut-Duck-Call-Blank-Fancy-Grain-Item-153etsx153.jpg. That said, it's really pretty, and I really don't know what it is.

Thank you to all who responded. I've got it narrowed down to 2, both where suggestions from people here. It appears to either be Claro Walnut, or English Walnut. In either case, it's heavily figured. I was able to remove a small section of the damage and sand it down. Once I sanded it, it was pretty clear it was some type of walnut. Researching veneers, it looks similar to both, but knowing this table came from England, and the owners were never near California or the west coast, my guess is figured english walnut. Now I just have to find a source. Thank you all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    OK, point well taken. I don't know what it is. My guess was based on being reminded of English Walnut by the dark swirls through the wood. Here's an example English-Walnut-Duck-Call-Blank-Fancy-Grain-Item-153etsx153.jpg. That said, it's really pretty, and I really don't know what it is.
    In no way am I saying I think you are wrong. It's just that it is really hard to tell exactly what species a piece is from a picture. It's hard enough in person. I guess that's one reason there are so many of this type of thread.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 11-13-2014 at 1:27 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Clumpner View Post
    Thank you to all who responded. I've got it narrowed down to 2, both where suggestions from people here. It appears to either be Claro Walnut, or English Walnut. In either case, it's heavily figured. I was able to remove a small section of the damage and sand it down. Once I sanded it, it was pretty clear it was some type of walnut. Researching veneers, it looks similar to both, but knowing this table came from England, and the owners were never near California or the west coast, my guess is figured english walnut. Now I just have to find a source. Thank you all.
    Have you looked at going the repair route? I think you are going to run into some major trouble trying to replace only a portion of the veneer.
    Larry J Browning