Thread: craftsman jointer (21706) purchase

craftsman jointer (21706) purchase

First post and first question.

My local Sears has a 21706 jointer new in the box for $280.00. I was planning on buying a jointer in a few months, but this deal caught my eye. Is this a good deal on this jointer? Other, similar jointers seem to be going for about $400.00.

I am not a craftsman hater, I own the 22114 and absolutely love the saw. The fact that this jointer has the craftsman name on it does not bother me at all if it is a quality tool.

Thanks
    Chuck

That jointer is also made by Orion and seems to get positive comments from owners. My only beef is that the fence support mechanism is considerably lighter duty than the ones found on Griz, Ridgid, Sunhill, Bridgewood, Jet, GI, etc., but at that price I'm sure I could live with it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have that Jointer, and love it. I previously had the little Delta benchtop. The Craftsman is a wonderful machine. It has been very accurate, and durable. It gets a lot of use in my shop. Too many paople badmouth the Craftsman name in general. Some of the tools are still very good. You just have to make a call after looking it over. I would buy this machine again.

Chuck,
    I bought mine second hand, and it has served me well.

Wes

As Scott said it is made by Orion and I would love to have it. Should compliment your zipcode saw right nicely. That is the price of a small benchtop, I would jump on it. The ridgid is now up to $399. so I think it is an awesome buy.

Corey

I have that jointer also. At my age I hate to admit it but it was an impluse purchase. I was sorry within a few days after as I really wanted at least a Grizzly and maybe better. I have used this jointer now for a few months and actually I can find nothing wrong with it. I now feel better when I see some positive reviews. When I look at it I no longer see a downer. Guess it will do as it does do the job it is intended for.

By the way, this is my first post at the Creek,

Take care,
    Bernie

Welcome Bernie. I think the jointer is every bit as good as the comperable size grizzley or others. I don't think it is a step down at all. Enjoy it!

Corey

Was it a special sale or something? On the Sears internet site the cheapest price is $380.

Welcome to SMC Bernie.At $280.00 I wouldn't hesitate if I was in the market for one.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve