Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to find artwork for engraving

Where to find artwork for engraving

Hello - I have a chinese machine with Lasercut 5.3 mostly used for cutting. Just getting into engraving and want some advice on good places to source free or cheap artwork to practice with. I believe its called "Vector" art? I have google "free vector art" and gotten tons and tons of sites. A lot of them just shuffle me back to Shutterstock.com or end up requiring to pay for the download. Is this normal? Fine if it is and I am not allergic to paying for it but want to know if there is anything I am missing here.

*free download* and no cost are different Dan

I have a stack of vector stuff if it's any good to you? what sort of stuff you looking for?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Daniel,

Try this site -------- www.vectorportal.com
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-12-2014 at 1:13 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Don't forget to look at Tattoo art and Scroll-saw art. Both tend to be vector, or easily converted.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

+1 for Tim, Tattoo stuff is a great resource

cheers

dave
    You did what !

www.craftsmanspace.com has some very cool stuff

I've found in the past "free" does not always mean free and if it is a free download look out for virus and malware downloads plus the every present Yahoo and Google tool bars. Darn hard to sort them out and keep them off your computer. Especially computers we need to run our machines. I'd rather pay for quality I can use right away.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

A note of advice about using "tattoo" art....most of the time it gets ripped off the internet, with the actual artists receiving no compensation or credit for their designs.
    I have been tattooing for 20 years, and have seen my own and my peers ripped off for all sorts of things, (especially by the chinese) and people make the mistake of assuming the artists will not come after them legally.
    If you own a laser and have no artistic ability, i suggest paying someone to design for you.
    I'm surprised to find out how many people in this business have no artistic or design training before getting onto it.
    Aside from text, we draw everything by hand, scan our linework, make adjustments in illustrator or photoshop to make it engrave cleaner, and send it over to the laser.

I use iclipart dot com. There is a fee for it, however. Once you pay, you have unlimited downloads during that time period. I subscribed for a year for about $50.00 and have received some really neat patterns and other vectors.
    Epilog Helix 45 watt
    Wacom Tablet
    Corel X7 Subscription
    Mac Book Pro running Windows via VMware Fusion

Things I don't understand is how it gets on the net in the first place in a form that it can get ripped off? I should think that if the artist doesn't want anyone stealing his work he'd not put it on the net in a form that was easily taken.If I was a tattoo artist and wanted to show off my work on the net I'd take pictures of the work I had done on the person I did it on and then water mark the picture and post it in a form that can't be copied. I certainly wouldn't post a detailed vectorized drawing of my work. That just screams here I am use me if you like.
    We here on the forum make and share a lot of stuff and that's great but you don't see everyone posting everything they ever made. Come on guys I want you to post every CDR you ever designed so we can all use them. If I post a cdr I do it with the understanding that people are going to download it and use it, so I would think that any tattoo artist that posted a useable vectorized drawing would know and expect the same jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Claiborne View Post
    A note of advice about using "tattoo" art....most of the time it gets ripped off the internet, with the actual artists receiving no compensation or credit for their designs.
    I have been tattooing for 20 years, and have seen my own and my peers ripped off for all sorts of things, (especially by the chinese) and people make the mistake of assuming the artists will not come after them legally.
    If you own a laser and have no artistic ability, i suggest paying someone to design for you.
    I'm surprised to find out how many people in this business have no artistic or design training before getting onto it.
    Aside from text, we draw everything by hand, scan our linework, make adjustments in illustrator or photoshop to make it engrave cleaner, and send it over to the laser.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-12-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, you would be really suprised by how much it happens......it doesn't need to be in a vectorized format to take and make something else out of.....social media is the biggest culprit, pinterest being one of the worst.....i could take a tattoo line drawing someone posted, even if it was at an angle, and turn it around into engraveable art in less than an hour. most artists do not post on traditional sites anymore using flash and such as that form of promotion has become obsolete, and can't compete with social media like instagram as far as generating business. A close friend of mine just found out that an entire sleeve he did on someone had been snagged from social media by the chinese, and turned into giant waterproof temporary tattoos for sale on alibaba.
    Taking every picture you ever post and watermarking it first just isn't the way it is anymore, not to mention it always looks like crap anyway....most people i see doing that anymore don't even produce work justifying the watermark anyway.
    Two of my co workers had their tattoo machines they make custom by hand cheaply cloned by the chinese about 10 years ago to the point that most cheap chinese tattoo equipment you find on ebay are direct copies made from inferior components, very frustrating....nothing is safe anymore and i'm sure many memebers of this forum have experienced the same with their ideas.
    Anyway, I didn't want to hijack this thread from the original topic, but after seeing my designs end up on tshirts i didn't authorize, i know that our art is often targeted for swiping.

Interesting discussion here that is relevant to me as I design my own artwork for engraving, in fact my entire business revolves around it.

I am aware that some unscrupulous types may well be able to rip off my images and reproduce the artwork themselves which does worry me, but what can I do to show it off without this happening?
    Trotec Speed 400 120W | JobControl 10.6 | Atmos Duo | Adobe Illustrator CC | CorelDraw X8

The watermark still makes it more difficult for those who want to pilfer artwork.

Though I don't have any proof that mine has been stolen I am quite sure that some of my proofs have been used by customers to shop for a better price. On the whole, and after nearly 20 years, I consider it a minor annoyance.

If you can find older versions of CorelDraw on Ebay or a flea markets, etc. they had very good clipart files. I have version 8 and it's my "go to" art file.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kozakewycz View Post
    Interesting discussion here that is relevant to me as I design my own artwork for engraving, in fact my entire business revolves around it.

I am aware that some unscrupulous types may well be able to rip off my images and reproduce the artwork themselves which does worry me, but what can I do to show it off without this happening?
    Post the preview images online with low resolution and small enough its not worth any ones time to try to enlarge. Make the buyer sign an agreement they are not to be resold and for his own use, and try to sell on legit websites not eBay.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

It's as bad with laser plans, you can spend literally 10's of thousands working on a design only to have it copied very quickly afterwards. It's usually the backstreet non tax payers who steal them and sell via ebay but at least one well known company has happily lifted some of my own designs.
    Sometimes I act on it legally, sometimes I don't bother....but overall now I simply don't sell plans anymore.

cheers

Dave

+1 for Mikes thoughts, I have a 20 disk set of clipart from an old version of corel draw somewhere
    You did what !