Thread: Removing rust off jointer tables & fence

Removing rust off jointer tables & fence

Ridgid Jointer.jpgRidgid Jointer #2.jpg

Hello,

I just bought a used 6" Ridgid jointer that has some surface rust on the table and fence. What's the best method for removing this while minimizing the ground finish of those castings?

My tentative plan is to use progressively courser W/D paper on a very flat block, sprinkling the tables with some mineral oil, then clean the whole thing up with a cloth soaked moderately with lacquer thinner to remove any oil residue.

I read that Barkeeper's Friend powdered cleaner may work, but I'm reluctant to use that on the ground tables.

I'm grateful for any advice; I've included some photos of the jointer. It's the first jointer I've ever owned and I look forward to tuning it up as best as I can until I win the lottery and buy a 12" Northfield...

Thanks,

Joe

Do not use sand paper, get a some wd-40/mineral spirits and some steel/plastic wool, and use your elbow, you will be surprised what you can do. You will probably have some staining, but its better than putting a divot, however small, in your table. And don't sprinkle, put it on there liberally.

I use fine steel wool and kerosine.Just can't smoke a cigar when everything is wet.Wd 40 works too I just have more kerosine than WD.

Joe
    Barkeeper Friend, If you do use it will be your next best friend. Clean of the heavy rust with David suggestion. Then clean the stain with Barkeeper friend, and wax with Johnson&Johnson Past-wax. And keep it waxed.

Second the use of steel wool. I would first use a razor blade to scrape the heavy rust off the table. You will be surprised how well this works. Brush off the loose rust, then follow with steel wool and spirits.

That looks like very fine surface rust. I'd try a razor blade for the heavier stuff and steel wool and wd40 first. Flood it with evaporust second, but likely you won't need to.

I've had good results with Naval Jelly and steel wool.

Second the razor blade approach. I prefer bronze wool since the pieces that break off don't rust.

After you get the rust off; use liquid form of Bar Keepers Friend. Got mine from Walmart in a squeeze bottle. Works good for removing a lot of the dark stains. I used 220 sandpaper on a mandrel in my drill and sanded my table top with the BKF then wiped down the table real good and sprayed on a coat of Remmington Gun preservative.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

I used evaporust. From advanced auto (online order with coupon) or harbor freight among other places. I splash a little on a pc of steel wool and rub, little rust cones off super fast, my lathe had really bad rust and cleaned up great in probably 39 minutes

A 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone used with a 1" sharp chisel is what I use.

14.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night