Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool "Multi-Tool"

Festool "Multi-Tool"

https://www.festoolusa.com/power-too...ng-multitools/

Sorry, it is the Festool Vecturo Oscillating Multi-Tool.

I didn't think a tool like this could be improved upon.

I have a Bosch that I used quite bit to demo my master bathroom. I found fair amount of water and bug damaged lower studs, sill plate, and sub-floor. The Bosch made the job much much easier.

Interesting. Wonder how much green for the green?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Interesting. Wonder how much green for the green?
    A mere $575

http://www.shopfestool.com/festool-v...FehzMgod1WoA0g

Think it's at the $575 level for the kit, won't be giving up my cordless Fein anytime soon but the Festo does have some pretty neat attachments that make sense.

I take it that is the bare-bones version without all the fancy gizmos.

The basic kit is $425. I don't use my old multi master enough to justify the Festool version.

http://www.shopfestool.com/festool-v...on-set-563006/

I put a no-set saw blade on a piece of bannister handrail to cut trim in my bathroom remodel.

Maybe I wasn't as fast, but $425?
    Yikes

Looks like the nicest oscillator I've seen, with typical well engineered festool fixtures to expand its usable range. But I'm not in the line to get one, just not enough need in my life.

Most ridiculous offering Festool has come up with. Someone is off the rails over there. I watched the video this afternoon and the "remodeler" that walks into my house and whips one of those out is going to get bounced out the door and back into his BMW. Just plain kooky. The most primitive power tool on the face of the earth and they are going to inflate the price to wha?!?!? Again. Goofy. The time it takes that guy to knock out an old work box with the plunge base in the video would have him bankrupt in a week.

Insane.

Not sure about the plunge base, though I could see it being used on finished work where maybe you need to install something in a cabinet, or something like that. The depth stops seem really useful, especially for repetitive work. Wonder if it takes standard blades, or if it has some wacky pattern.

I JUST bought a Fein. It's hard to imagine the that Festool could out-quality them. It'll be interesting to see if it takes off here.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 11-11-2014 at 7:10 PM.

The Fein version I bought when they held the patent changed the way I was able to do some remodeling, and was well worth the money (maybe 300?). Now that all the major power tool companies make them, it's hard to see why a premium could be justified.

That said, changing blades on mine is sorta a PITA!

I could see tool free blade changes being worth a bit but the mere cost of blades alone for these things should leave anyone with a sound mind very cautious of what one will pay for the base tool. Even the "dual saw" version of the tool on infomercial would be skeptical simply because the base tool could be more than affordable but now buying a dual blade each time for a replacement would void any base tool costs quickly.

At 10-15 per blade for generics these things are simply the most expensive way to do a job but yes, they are extremely handy when they are handy. I can only imagine the festool more.

I guess its a personal thing for me but these are simply crude tools. Sure you can cut a couple pieces of case for a flooring install, you can trim off a water pipe here and there, but if your installing flooring regularly this is not the tool to make you money. They are a tool that serve a purpose in a pinch. I can jab saw an old work box faster than you can cut one with one of these and FAR cheaper.

The Bosch I have is easy to change the blades on. I was shocked the first time I went to get replacement blades for these tools! Of course, you can get real cheap ones from eBay made "over there."

However this tool was indispensable on my bathroom gut and remodel. It made cutting out bad chunks of studs easy...replacing bad sill plates easy...cutting nails easy. The best was using it to slice up chunks of sub-floor and being able to put the same piece back down (very small kerf).

Festool Multi? No thanks! I'm fine with my Fein!

I have the Harbor Freight version of the MultiMaster and it does everything I need it to do. I don't use it very often but when you need it, it's a nice tool to have.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I noticed in the video that there's no provision at all for dust collection.
    That's pretty un-Festool.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon