Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird Calculator Error & Recommendation Needed...

Weird Calculator Error & Recommendation Needed...

I have a Construction Master Pro by Calculated Industries. I tried and tried to divide 27 5/8" by 5 and kept coming up with 5 1/2". I then tried 27" divided by 5 and came up with 5 3/8". Why is this seemingly good calculator giving me these wrong answers? Can you recommend a good calculator that will do inch calculations, accurate to the 32ths.

Blog Entries
    My Fast Cap 'Converter Pro' (about $15 IIRC) says 27-5/8" divided by 5 is 5-33/64". 1/64" is the finest increment. I assume you're looking for imperial measurements. Unfortunately, it appears that they no longer make it(???).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-11-2014 at 6:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How about an iPhone app? Fraction Plus available in the iTunes store.

Fractions plus comes up with 5 21/40.

If you convert 27 5/8 to eights it is 221/8 divided by 5 = 5.525 or 5 21/40.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 11-11-2014 at 6:48 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The default fractional setting for that calculator is 1/16. Unless you have changed it to 1/32 or 1/64 you are getting the correct answer, that is, 0.525 rounded to the nearest 1/16 is 1/2. See page 27 of the manual.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    The default fractional setting for that calculator is 1/16. Unless you have changed it to 1/32 or 1/64 you are getting the correct answer, that is, 0.525 rounded to the nearest 1/16 is 1/2. See page 27 of the manual.
    ... and the answer in either case was off by less than 1/32"!

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    David, thanks so much. Found it on pg. 35 of my pocket manual. I was ready to buy another calculator, but now I feel I can keep this one. I have it set to 1/32. Now I can round up or down and not have to cross my eyes to see it. Thanks again! I new someone here would know.

I have the Construction Master Pro app on my phone and have it set to 1/64" and when I do the math on the 27 5/8" it comes out to 5 17/32".

I will say I love the Construction Master Pro, it sure make life easier when working with fractions.

Time to go all decimal and not these silly 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 divisions. I guess it keeps my brain going.

Anyone have a decimal tape measure?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Wow, what a great argument for going metric. I'm about halfway there, but still have too many tools that come in weird sizes like those 12.7 mm mortising chisels and 6.35 mm drills. My error rate has gone way down since converting most of my drawings and measurements to metric/decimal. Of course converting completely might be a good excuse for some new tools...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Anyone have a decimal tape measure?
    I have.. at least 6......

Yes.... It's a METRIC tape- you know, millimeters, centimeters, meters, and all the rest... It makes the arithmetic so very easy...

Whoa!! I said DECIMAL...not METRIC!

inch-decimal.jpg
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Whoa!! I said DECIMAL...not METRIC!

inch-decimal.jpg
    That's decimal inch. What about decimal foot?
    Tape1.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Wish I went metric way back when they were talking about us going metric. Really would have been great for us all. I'm trying, but it's this senior brain of mine...I know...excuses, excuses...

http://www.kahntools.com/8-200mm-yan...ividers-1.html

No math, no numbers, just perfect results every time.

Paul