Thread: bench wood movement

bench wood movement

I've glued up the two tops for my split top bench project and am now working on the end cap for the front top. Since the top, once it's all glued will essentially act as one big hunk of wood in terms of moisture, this should mean that gluing the end cap on is a no-no. The bench is a split top Roubo. How would you handle it's attachment?

Blog Entries
    Think of it as a big breadboard end on a table top. Any of those methods will work; dowels in oversized holes, recessed screws used in a similar fashion, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Think of it as a big breadboard end on a table top. Any of those methods will work; dowels in oversized holes, recessed screws used in a similar fashion, etc.
    Yeah.

I'm thinking of using no adhesive at all. There's big dovetails at the dog side. And a big tenon the end cap goes over. Depending on how well I make the M&T and the dovetails fit, I may leave it at that. I've got some of the big Benchcrafted cross dowels. Unfortunately they don't speak much to using them. My experience in other places with cross dowels is that they're pretty secure when assembled.

So you have this big slab top. Why are you putting a breadboard end on it? Why not use it as it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So you have this big slab top. Why are you putting a breadboard end on it? Why not use it as it is?
    I *am* using the ends as they are. Except in on place. That place is where the wagon vise gets installed. The wagon vise needs that end cap.

This is the one I'm going to use. http://www.benchcrafted.com/TailVise.html

I put caps on mine because it is not kiln dried and moves a lot. Has shellac on end grain, two continuous loose splines
    holding caps , three lag screws with washers go through oversize holes in caps and into bench.

It's a split top Roubo. Just go with the attachment method that Benchcrafted, the creator of the Split Top Roubo, recommends. Don't overthink it. If the method is unclear, just drop Jameel a note and ask him for clarification.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by This is the one I'm going to use. [URL
    http://www.benchcrafted.com/TailVise.html[/URL]
    "Built like a tank, drives like a coup" is one of the greatest tag lines ever!
    Trees. Tools. Time.