Thread: Lock miters with Dominos?

Lock miters with Dominos?

I recently put together a case made of solid wood. Miter joints reinforced with Dominos(in end grain at 45 degrees.) I'm concerned about overall strength as well as wood movement. I know the Dominos will provide a fair amount of strength, but I'm considering adding 3 or 4 to the already assembled joints in a locking or pin fashion. In other words, the Dominos will be inserted through the sides(fro the outside of the case) into the top and bottom. The end of the domino will be visible, but I don't mind. Does anyone who makes mitered cases use a similar method? Is this overkill? Or not worth it? Are the mitered Dominos already in there of sufficient strength to not have to worry about it? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thank you.

There was a guy that made lovely sitting benches with 45-degree mitered corners reinforced with Dominos and they were apparently very strong. So I guess I'd ask how many Dominos you used, and how wide your joint was.

I highly doubt you need any additional reinforcement.

Thanks, Phil. The stick is 7/8" and the miter is 22" long. I used 5 or 6 5mm Dominos per. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by David Wadstrup View Post
    Thanks, Phil. The stick is 7/8" and the miter is 22" long. I used 5 or 6 5mm Dominos per. What do you think?
    That means a Domino about every 4 inches. I think you're fine as is.

If your case will have any fixed shelves, your stability will be greatly increased.

Beware that the stock dominos dont always fill the mortise completely at the corners. Test it to make sure it looks how expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    That means a Domino about every 4 inches. I think you're fine as is.
    I agree w/ Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If your case will have any fixed shelves, your stability will be greatly increased.

Beware that the stock dominos dont always fill the mortise completely at the corners. Test it to make sure it looks how expect.
    That is a very good point, if you proceed with through-Dominos you may need to make them yourself to get the fit you'd desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That is a very good point, if you proceed with through-Dominos you may need to make them yourself to get the fit you'd desire.
    As well as to use a wood that may match the rest better than the beech of standard Dominos. By the way, I agree with the others that the joint should be strong enough without the locking Dominos.