Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Moving unexpectedly

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Excellent Steve!
    Let me know if you need another Radial Arm Saw. My daughter will be going by on her way to CO after thanksgiving, I could strap it on top of her car for you. It's still setting in the same place I unloaded it last summer. What town are you moving to?
    LOL, I figured you'd have it better than new by now, it's been months now! We're moving to Chadron. My new shop is behind the local paper office, you'll have to stop in, who knows what I can talk you into taking home this time.... Hey, even better, maybe you can bring one of your planes for me to check out!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Well, I signed the lease this evening and paid the first months rent and deposit. Guess I have a new woodshop! Forgot to get a picture, maybe tomorrow when I'm moving stuff.
    Very cool! I'm happy for you, but that does not mean we don't want to see pictures..........

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Very cool! I'm happy for you, but that does not mean we don't want to see pictures..........

Larry
    Thanks Larry, I showed my wife this thread when we were discussing the pros and cons of this, your posts really helped the cause. I'll post some pics tonight if today goes according to plan.

Congratulations on your new shop, Steve!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Congratulations on your new shop, Steve!
    Thanks Jim! Ok, here are some pics. It's not beautiful, but is space. I like the tall ceilings, high windows and character of the place. Best part is I can just move in and go to work, I don't have to build the shop before I can use it. It's well past needing a bit of cleaning, but it's warm and the lights work well. The radiant heaters burn outside air, it has exhaust fans that ought to help with finishing fumes, and there is a chance I could be building something before the weather warms up this spring. Most of the newspaper stuff is leaving, but I get to keep the cabinets if I want.

Very exciting space! Has character, the kind that inspires. Its a lot like the commercial building I sold last year. I can see good things physical and mental coming out of that space.

One word of caution. Do not leave wood directly under the radiant tube heater. It will cup in about ten minutes. On the other hand, with a properly placed ladder they make an awesome toaster for your sandwiches.

Later, Larry

Yeah, a little clean up and that place looks like it will make a great shop.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Makes sense. Was curious if there was a standard used with multi tenant situations, but I think it would have to be a case by case calculation. So many variables.
    Steve, glad to hear it's moving forward.

You probably need content and general liability insurance, it should be very cost effective............Rod.

Nice space! I love the high ceilings with the exposed structure, too, and that bodes well for your dust collection system as well as ease of putting in power drops where you need them throughout the shop. Nice to have that light pouring in during the day...and if I'm not mistaken, you've got some radiant heat there, too.

If anything, you may need to consider some security precautions with that big overhead door, but wow...did I happen to say, "nice space"??
    --

There is radiant heat Jim, and it works! It was in the 20's Wednesday when I was moving stuff in, and they kept it toasty, even with the door open. Pretty sure the door you noticed will need some security upgrades like you said. Interesting what Larry said about them cupping wood, will have to be careful for sure.

I guess now that I have a shop, I may open a thread in the appropriate place here to ask a few questions, ie anyone know if printer ink can be painted over easily? See you over there if you are curious.

SW has an amazing (albeit expensive) primer that will overcoat almost anything...so it may be worth purchasing a gallon and trying it over that ink. BIN may also be a solution. I had to use it when I renovated a room in the 250 year old portion of our home...there was "something" on the ceiling that just wouldn't allow paint to adhere properly...and that SW primer did the job. It was recommended by another SMC member who is a pro painter for his "day job".

I really do look forward to seeing how you put your shop together!
    --