Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving unexpectedly

Thanks Larry, great response. I probably wouldn't hesitate normally, but I think being uprooted and having what seems like everything change all at once has affected my thinking.

Heck, another way to look at it is that I probably spend the rent value on upgrades monthly to make all the other spaces I've worked in fit my needs, this one is pretty much ready.

Twice in my life I have had my whole life plan thrown to the wind and had to start over. It is not a good feeling and I can only tell you that as time goes on it will become the past. How that affects you is you're choice. Many give up and that is why bars are always busy, but I have a feeling that we don't have to worry too much about you. Still.... Right now in the here and now, its a bit of an empty feeling I am sure. I'm thinking a shop may do you more good than you know right now.....

I wish you only the best buddy.

Larry

I like Larry's thoughts on this, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rent will probably be less expensive than therapy.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Assuming that the loss of some of your farm land doesn't crash your lifestyle too bad I'd do the rent thing and call it just part of being who you are. Maybe get the kids interested in some kids projects and turn it into an extension of the new in town lifestyle, inclusive of the entire family. My kids are gone now, but my shop was always someplace for me to get away. Now when my kids come home it gets to be some place where the family can hang out. I probobly had it backwards all along, should have made it can all inclusive place. Maybe you an get the kids to have as much fun as fishing! Pic of my kids working on Christmas tree ornaments last Christmas. My only point is you could make the whole deal better than before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leigh Betsch; 11-20-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: I spelz like I talks.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    That last thing is purely nonsense I know, but would it bother you?

Also not completely comfortable with the shop costing something every month. A couple projects a year would offset the rent, but then I have to work to justify the space. Maybe that's good, but curious about some feedback on that too.
    Creepy, sure. Maybe you shouldn't watch Vincent Price reruns before you go over to the shop.
    How long is the lease? If the price is less than storage, it's a good compromise.
    Congrats on finding somewhere you can get into, right away.

What is the insurance provision for your tools?
    Does your insurance have a rider for things
    kept other than your primary residence?

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Pic of my kids working on Christmas tree ornaments last Christmas.
    Your Christmas tree ornaments come off an Endmill?
    I guess you're making heirlooms to last...

I'm jealous of your dogs. They're good looking.
    Mine have "character".

We just adopted an Australian Cattle Dog.
    I'm pretty sure she's really just a good looking Possum.

Leigh, I like your take. I've done something similar by making my woodshop my haven, but I'd like it to be about my family now too. This whole situation is an opportunity to change a lot, and there is plenty that I'd like to make better. Like Larry mentioned, I'm still in the frazzled stage, not quite sure what all is going to develop, but we need to start some place. I've been woodworking for 30 years now (wow, time flies), so that little piece of consistency might do us all good.

Jim, that was hilarious about your possum dog! The owner says I don't need liability, only contents insurance. I think my homeowner policy will provide that, agent is checking. I'm uneasy about no liability to, so may get that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    What is the insurance provision for your tools?
    Does your insurance have a rider for things
    kept other than your primary residence?
    Most likely, he'll need a separate renter's type policy given the nature of the gear and it being in a rental space, although that could vary with an individual insurance company.
    --

probably depends more on your age and financial abilities. If you're older you probably don't want much fuss - the older you are the less you have tolerance for such crap as moving. If you're cashed up then sell them and buy again when you know what you have. If you're a normal human being with little money to spare then you probably should hold on to the tools and see what arises. Try a friend or a few and see if you can drop the gear at their place for a while...
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

I don't want to upgrade anything actually, well except the time I have to use them. Some of this stuff would cost three to four times what I'd get by selling to replace. The leading contender is a big single car garage, but some space to add on. My Felder just plain won't fit until adding on for example.
    Steve, unless you take 5 years to find a new place, you'll lose money selling and re-purchasing the machinery you have.............Rod.

Also not completely comfortable with the shop costing something every month. A couple projects a year would offset the rent, but then I have to work to justify the space. Maybe that's good, but curious about some feedback on that too.
    If you do any woodworking for money I'd get liability insurance too. A lawsuit can be a nightmare.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Liability is necessary even if one isn't doing it for money. For home shops, you're coverage usually comes from your homeowners insurance if you're non-commercial. For folks renting space and needing a separate policy, the primary liability goes on that policy, regardless if it's commercial or personal.
    --

Well, I signed the lease this evening and paid the first months rent and deposit. Guess I have a new woodshop! Forgot to get a picture, maybe tomorrow when I'm moving stuff.

Excellent Steve!
    Let me know if you need another Radial Arm Saw. My daughter will be going by on her way to CO after thanksgiving, I could strap it on top of her car for you. It's still setting in the same place I unloaded it last summer. What town are you moving to?
    The Plane Anarchist