Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help fixing a mistake

Here are two ways to add a strip in the center: attach it to the back side of one door (that door closes first and the other overlaps the strip) or to the front side of one door (in this case the door with the strip closes last; I think the term for this is an astragal and is common on french doors).

I would install the doors and see what adjustment the hinges have as Bradley suggested. I have on one occasion shimmed the hinge as Prashun suggested and it was not noticeable.

Maurice - you say a "set of doors". Does this mean two? If so and it were me I might just look to punt and make a new set of doors. It is likely that you can re-use the raised panel if you only need to make up 1/4" over the whole span (1/16 x 4) so you would only need to remake the rails and stiles. I know it seems like a bummer to have to contemplate doing that but any approach you take is going to involve time and the question is does this equation hold:

Time already invested in making doors - time invested to apply a "fix" > (Time already invested in making doors - time required to make new) + value of knowing you did it "right"

In this case the definition of "right" is the way that you originally intended for the piece.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Good for you for admitting you made a mistake.Now you can check that one off the list that you won't make again.I have no idea how to fix other mistakes too many of my own to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Good for you for admitting you made a mistake.Now you can check that one off the list that you won't make again.I have no idea how to fix other mistakes too many of my own to work out.
    Yes, lesson learned. Next time I will err on the side of "too wide." I can always make a few passes through the jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCluney View Post
    Here are two ways to add a strip in the center: attach it to the back side of one door (that door closes first and the other overlaps the strip) or to the front side of one door (in this case the door with the strip closes last; I think the term for this is an astragal and is common on french doors).
    Yes I think astragal is the term for those. It would be a last resort... I never did like those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Maurice - you say a "set of doors". Does this mean two? If so and it were me I might just look to punt and make a new set of doors. It is likely that you can re-use the raised panel if you only need to make up 1/4" over the whole span (1/16 x 4) so you would only need to remake the rails and stiles. I know it seems like a bummer to have to contemplate doing that but any approach you take is going to involve time and the question is does this equation hold:

Time already invested in making doors - time invested to apply a "fix" > (Time already invested in making doors - time required to make new) + value of knowing you did it "right"

In this case the definition of "right" is the way that you originally intended for the piece.
    I think you are right, and normally I would agree. But I am really starting to like the idea of the cock bead. I want to see how it looks

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Arney View Post
    Yes, lesson learned. Next time I will err on the side of "too wide." I can always make a few passes through the jointer.
    I just came back from a marquetry class with David Marks and no students make any mistakes in his class. They are simply design opportunities!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    What kind of hinges? If you are using full inset euro style hinges you could simply adjust to 3 equal 1/8" gaps.
    Yeah - exactly - you have 1/16 + 5/16 + 1/16 = 7/16 total gap.

Divide that by 3 = abour 4.5/32" - very slightly more than 1/8". move the doors out to get an even reveal, and trim the door height a tad to match.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yeah - exactly - you have 1/16 + 5/16 + 1/16 = 7/16 total gap.

Divide that by 3 = abour 4.5/32" - very slightly more than 1/8". move the doors out to get an even reveal, and trim the door height a tad to match.
    With all due respect to Kent and Bradley, their idea is a solid one in most cases but I suggest you mock this one up before heading down that road because (in MY opinion) for an inset door an 1/8" is a yawning gap that I think might be a bit much for what you are likely going for. Inset doors are brutal to get right as the traditional hinges have exactly 0 adjustment but, man, when you get them right they are beautiful and really demonstrate craftsmanship and attention to detail - an 1/8" is too much. About the thickness of a dime or penny is all you want there.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Are the doors cut to length yet? If not, you can make the door styles wider by ripping each style diagonally, then reglue with an "off-set" sufficient to provide the additional width needed. This process works, and this application is an ideal candidate. Even though the grain will be slightly misaligned, since its along the grain, only you will know it has been modified. Good luck!