Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beall buff question

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Test pieces!

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I took y'all's advice and slowed down the tripoli buff to about 1000rpm and I like the results much better. The tripoli buff works best when it has some heat to make the finish easier to polish, but I certainly had too much heat. I finished my intended piece today buffing at the slower speed and I really liked how much better it worked. Takes longer to get a good polish, but much faster than having to strip and re-finish. Thanks again guys!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Tried out the slower speed today on a orphan walnut bowl I had finished with Watco a couple weeks ago. Used the wheel buff to put the RD on the outside at 800rpm and then used the bowl buff for the inside. Liked the results for the outside but needed to up the speed a little bit to 1000 for the buff to feel/see good results. Used 1200 for the wax and only used the wheel for both outside and inside.

Bottom line.......I liked the results, wheels were a little bit more pliable and fit this bowls profile very well. Also felt much more comfortable hold the piece without being concerned about it getting ripped out of my hand. Think I continue with this procedure. Can't tell the difference between the two different speeds.
    Attachment 300252Attachment 300253Attachment 300254
    I'm new to turning and I buffed a bowl with the Beall three step system and my bowl cam out too shinny for my liking. This bowl doesn't look as shinny as mine did - is it the final wax?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - a lot of things will vary the final sheen: type of finish, type of wood, level of sanding, amount you buff before applying wax and there is also the possibility that the lighting in the above photos affect the perceived sheen.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I'm new to turning and I buffed a bowl with the Beall three step system and my bowl cam out too shinny for my liking. This bowl doesn't look as shinny as mine did - is it the final wax?

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike, you can always knock the shine back. It is much easier than getting the shine. But remember that shine sells.

I prefer a shiny exterior and a satin interior if it is a user, shiny if it is a display piece. There are of course exceptions.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I'm new to turning and I buffed a bowl with the Beall three step system and my bowl cam out too shinny for my liking. This bowl doesn't look as shinny as mine did - is it the final wax?Thanks,Mike
    Mike,I have no idea about your shine versus my shine level. These are just cell phone pictures taken in a shop with fluorescent lighting that have been reduced in pixel size. Seem to get same results regardless of rpm used.