Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beall buff question

Beall buff question

I picked up the 8" Beall wood buff set a few weeks ago and am very happy with the results so far, but I've had issues with one walnut vase. The tripoli wheel has buffed right through the poly finish a couple of times and I've had to sand the piece down and re-coat. I didn't have anything on the finish when I put on the poly - just bare wood. After the 1st time it happened I tried to buff the finish completely off - some spots it eventually came off, but others it just wouldn't come off the wood and buffed to a high sheen. I don't think I was buffing particularly hard, but maybe I had the wheel spinning too fast? Or did I perhaps get an oily fingerprint on the wood before the poly (unlikely, but always possible)?

Wes,

What speed are you running the buffing wheel at?
    How much pressure are you applying?
    How many coats of poly did you apply?
    How long did you wait for the poly to dry/cure?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My buffing rules are to set the speed at about 700 rpm, light pressure, keep the wood moving at all times and no buffing until I cannot smell the finish (or at least very faint smell). Works pretty well and I don't buff through.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Be careful when using the White Diamond on walnut, it can get in the pores and you'll never get it out. Sounds like you don't have much finish on. If you fill all the pores with finish, you can use the WD.

I had the speed around 1700-1800rpm, or at least that's my best guesstimate. My lathe is a Delta 46-541 with Reeves drive and the belt is on the smallest pulley. According to the chart on the lathe the speed is in the range of what is correct for the buffing wheels. I was pushing hard enough to just bend the wheel fibers a bit. I had applied 3 coats of poly, sanding them smooth between coats with 400 grit and allowed to dry 1-2 days between coats. My shop is not heated so once the poly sets up in the shop I set the piece in my office in front of the blower on my mini-split heat pump.

This time around I'm going to put on an extra coat of poly and only sand to 600 grit to see if that helps any. So far I haven't used the WD wheel or compound as I've only been finishing walnut pieces lately. I read enough horror stories to avoid that combination before I bought into the Beall system! Other pieces I've polished have come out nicely using Minwax paste wax applied with a rag and buffed out with the wax buffing wheel. Haven't used the carnauba bar yet and don't know that I ever will.

Wes, sounds like the speed you are buffing at is the problem. At that speed, even with moderate to light pressure, it will generate heat and that will melt the finish. I usually buff at less than 1000 rpm and even then keep the piece moving so as to not generate heat.
    Steve

+1 on speed issues. I usually start just a hair faster than Steve - about 1100, then drop to about 900 for WD and 700 for wax. I have some very soft compound designed for plastic or lacquer that I often use instead of the tripoli/WD and follow it with wax. Wax of choice is Ren wax hand applied sparingly, allowed to dry and then buffed either by hand or slow wheel.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The instructions with the Beall buff recommend 1725 RPM for the 8" wheels and faster for the 4" bowl buffs. Heat comes from too much pressure, not too much speed.

The how-to videos from Beall are pretty helpful and worth watching if you haven't seen them already http://www.bealltool.com/instructions.php

When this set - up came out, Beall had instructions for Danish oil on the pieces & then buffing that. I do not know if this has changed..does he now say use on this type of finish?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    The instructions with the Beall buff recommend 1725 RPM for the 8" wheels and faster for the 4" bowl buffs. Heat comes from too much pressure, not too much speed.The how-to videos from Beall are pretty helpful and worth watching if you haven't seen them already http://www.bealltool.com/instructions.php
    That's what I've been using. Most everything that I've used the Beall for has been finished with Watco clear first and I've been well pleased with the results. But there's a number of replies at much lower rpm's. Think I'll try the lower rpm's next time and see if there's a difference in results.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    Heat comes from too much pressure, not too much speed.
    I agree, however, when you buff at 1725 rpm, the buffing wheel has very little give to it and only takes a little pressure to create that heat. My experience has been that if I turn the buffing speed down, the wheel softens, covers more of the surface being buffed and allows me to apply pressure to those areas I want. Just saying that it is more forgiving at a slower speed and gives me more control over the final finish.
    Steve

I'm with the slower buffing gang. I usually buff EEE around 700rpm and wax at a little slower speed. I think the 1725 rpm speed in the instructions are for people to use the buff on electric motors. Most electric motors run at either 1750 or 3500 rpm. I tried a 1750 rpm motor and it was just to fast for me.
    Fred

Tried out the slower speed today on a orphan walnut bowl I had finished with Watco a couple weeks ago. Used the wheel buff to put the RD on the outside at 800rpm and then used the bowl buff for the inside. Liked the results for the outside but needed to up the speed a little bit to 1000 for the buff to feel/see good results. Used 1200 for the wax and only used the wheel for both outside and inside.

Bottom line.......I liked the results, wheels were a little bit more pliable and fit this bowls profile very well. Also felt much more comfortable hold the piece without being concerned about it getting ripped out of my hand. Think I continue with this procedure. Can't tell the difference between the two different speeds.
    bb1.jpgbb2.jpgbb3.jpg

One of the problems with buffing (and I always use at least 1725 rpm) is that the finish is still not hard, it takes more than a day or two, especially when the temps are lower.

Give the finish a week or two, or longer and your results will be much better.

One other thing with woods like Walnut is that it has open grain, there will be more finish in the wood pores and it takes much longer to harden up, you should take much longer between re-coating and also before buffing, sealing the grain before putting the finish on does help some.
    Have fun and take care

I see two possible problems here.....I always let the finish cure for a week or so before using the Beall system. With most finishes the finish can be dry to the touch but not cured.You say that you place the piece in front of heating system to cure. Most finishes are formulated to dry at room temps. Around 70 degrees. If it's too hot the finish polymerizes too fast (cures) So the finish would be soft and buffing would possibly go through it.
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 11-14-2014 at 7:04 PM.