Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've never regretted watching a David Charlesworth instructional video...

Asked for it for Christmas and will get it myself I'd Santa gives me coal.

online is the only way I can get Roy anymore and fortunately this season is on PBS website.

Jim,

Not sure about man glitter, but the ability to make stuff does have a certain cachet in the digital world!

Best wishes,
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    Brian,

Could you share the video name? or url link?

Thanks,
    Sorry I missed this, I'll hunt that video down later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Jim,

Not sure about man glitter, but the ability to make stuff does have a certain cachet in the digital world!

Best wishes,
    David
    An appreciation that is becoming increasingly widespread. People seem to once again want to put to use the intuitions of a craftsman and appreciate the result of a trained eye and knowledge of process.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'd just like to apologise for the glitches on my website which have stopped things working for the last week. All fixed now.

David

Ordered it yesterday, David (from LN Oz).

Regards from Perth

Derek

I liked the video. First time watching Charlesworth and I liked how methodical he was. That mitered joint seems to be slow going and fussy though.
    I am making a big drawer for my workbench and decided to use a secret rabbet dovetail as a learning exercise, video was helpful also for this joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Roy Underhill and Chris Schwarz recently demonstrated the making of this joint during an episode on campaign furniture.

It appears it is from this season so it isn't available online unless I do not know something about accessing the online programs.

I have it recorded and tend to keep the programs for a while to watch a few times.

There are not many videos I have regretted watching. Even the ones where I do not agree on the means or the style have some aspect upon which they may shed some light and understanding.

The hardest to learn from are those who put me to sleep.

jtk
    Jim, this particular Woodwright Shop episode is on-line. It is excellent, as always. Roy and Chris make a good team.

Just for clarity, the dovetail that Chris demonstrates is a secret dovetail, but not a secret mitred dovetail.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I do hope you will enjoy it.

It was great to film in my own workshop, and the photography and close ups are superb.

Best wishes,
    David

David, I have the DVD in my hot hands as I type. I am expecting great things.

Should there be any shortcomings, it would be appreciated if you visit to correct these in person. I will supply a good bottle of Margaret River Cab Sav - or two - to consume in the duration. By that stage I am certain all will be forgiven.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 12-02-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Roy Underhill and Chris Schwarz recently demonstrated the making of this joint during an episode on campaign furniture.

It appears it is from this season so it isn't available online unless I do not know something about accessing the online programs.

I have it recorded and tend to keep the programs for a while to watch a few times.

There are not many videos I have regretted watching. Even the ones where I do not agree on the means or the style have some aspect upon which they may shed some light and understanding.

The hardest to learn from are those who put me to sleep.

jtk
    They have this on YouTube where Roy shows multiple joints http://youtu.be/GLk4IYF65wY?t=16m50s it starts at 16:50

I think Roy has the quick version and I have the slow one!!

Slow and detailed hopefully....

David

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    I think Roy has the quick version and I have the slow one!!

Slow and detailed hopefully....

David
    That's what we like! we can always decide on a little less precision or a slightly faster method once we know we can do it cleanly. But it's nice to be able to things cleanly first and cleanly and fast later.

Derek,

I am concerned about airline tickets and the supply of vintage Margaret river Cabernet Sauvignon. Have you drunk it all yet?

Best wishes,
    David

David, don't fret ... there is a LOT of cab sav in Margaret's River! It is not only a major wine area, and the home of the Jarrah and Karri tree, but just 3 hours south of Perth. My wife and I were done there last weekend for a wedding. The best early summer weather - blues skies and sun peeking through the tree-lined avenues - glorious days for the having the top down in the car ....

Best wishes for the festive season

Derek