Thread: Stanley 4-1/2 value

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Stanley 4-1/2 value

I will call upon the SMC brain trust for a rough value on my buddies 4-1/2. Sorry, no pics, I haven't seen it but have this decent description:

No rust / pitting, japanning 80% or so, lots of blade, high knob Rosewood ( stable crack in the knob ), black plastic adjustment knob, smooth bottom, 144 blade ( first quarter of 1944 )..

My questions - the Rosewood knob - used on the Wartime Stanleys? Black plastic knob - Wartime feature IIRC. Approximate value if overall decent shape? He is all excited and thinks it is worth a fortune; I said slow down buddy!!

Thanks!

Dave B

I wouldn't pay more than $60 for it.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

I'd say about what sean says is where it would go here. People hate the plastic knob. The only plane I have with the plastic knob is a dandy, but it's an NOS 6 that I got for $15 in an antique store.

Same thing, nice wood like that, but no cracks.

To get to the $100 level, it's got to be a sweetheart with good wood and a good iron, or a pre-sweetheart era plane with good wood and a good iron.

Now, if it was a flat sided bedrock, then he'd have a little more reason to be excited.

Not much....I try to stay away from post type 13 Stanleys. Others feel differently and might bid it up but....

Check "hyperkitten.com" type study charts for Type 16 & 17. This plane sounds like it may be Type 17 with some parts from old stock, especially the wooden knob. The plastic adjusting knob says Type 17. If the bottom casting is heavy, that would also be Type 17. The 144 on the iron fits Type 17, SW does not. My 4 1/2 is a smooth Type 11 with a PM-V11 iron set. Love it!
    Last edited by Tom Vanzant; 11-13-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Thanks for the replies guys - fits in to what I told him initially - again, thanks for the input!

Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    My 4 1/2 is a smooth Type 11 with a PM-V11 iron set. Love it!
    You know...you could have left all that out. For it caused me to have envious thoughts towards you.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Lee Richmond has a Sweetheart going for $89. Seems to be in much better condition than what you described.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

At most it is worth $75. The 60 is probably where it would sell. If I wanted to sell it fast without a lot of hassle I would ask $40 for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)