Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wanted to introduce myself

Just wanted to introduce myself

I have decided to pick up woodworking as a hobby. I've done some work in the past, just looking for insight on how to improve the quality of the work! Just wanted to say hello and see if there are any members here who don't mind being informative about a few things? I will, of course, be further searching the forums first, but I'm sure there's a few old tricks ya'll could show me.

My first piece of machinery thus far? Picked up a new in box (4 years old) Dewalt 788 Scroll Saw for 200 bucks off the local Craigslist.

Cordless tools I'm running porter cable with lithium ion batteries.

Looking for ways to build a nice table saw setup at a reasonable price.

Hope I wasnt too long winded, thanks for having me!

Ryan

Welcome. You will find folks here more than willing to help with any and all questions you may have.

Improving the quality of your work is a slow and very deliberate process.

Make something. Ask questions. Make more stuff, ask more questions.

Ain't much more complicated than that.

Again- welcome. The most skilled people here started out knowing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Grubbs View Post
    Looking for ways to build a nice table saw setup at a reasonable price.
    IMO, the fancy table saw is over rated. But that assumes other tools are available such as a good jointer. Any table saw that can be adjusted to run in line with the mitre slots and can adjust the fence to the mitre slots/blade, can be used as effectively as many saws that are much more expensive. Look for an older better built saw over a new one.

You would need to establish a price range.

I'm craigslisting, brother!

AMEN, brother Ryan!

Welcome to SMC, Ryan. You are amoung some of the best craftsman in the world.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Glad to be here! Anyone have any newer opinions on the incra i-box? I'm eyeballing this guy for my dovetail setup.

Welcome to the forum.

The ibox gets good reviews, but I think that should be very low on your priority list. I'd start with the basics for major machinery before getting very specific (and expensive) jigs/accessories.

And try to buy tools as you go, for the projects you are currently working on. That being said, when buying used you need to jump on deals that come along.

Welcome!

Welcome Ryan! This a a great community, full of very helpful folks. Ask away.

I built a very nice tablesaw setup that I did a piece at a time. You could too if youre so inclined - I bought a used contractor saw with a big, high quality fence for a good price. Then I bought a high quality blade. Later built a very nice enclosed cabinet with built-in mobile base. (WOOD Magazine has run several different plans over the years - search one of their DVDs if youre looking for ideasa.) Then I bought a high quality miter gauge. Then finally got an aftermarket splitter/guard. I did this one piece at a time over years.

Anyway, welcome!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Ryan. Welcome!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Welcome Ryan! I think you're on the right track looking for a good table saw.... It seems every project I do, the table saw gets used the bulk of the time, and as was mentioned earlier, make sure the blade is lined up with the fence, and the miter slots. My first TS and was a delta contractor, and I haven't regretted it once.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Welcome. You've come to the right place. Ask away! I think you'll find a lot of generosity and encouragement here.

For a table saw, I'd scour Craigslist again. When you see something that looks interesting, don't be shy to ask some opinions about it.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Creek. You'll find lots of experts here more than willing to share their knowledge and expertise with you.

Thanks for the kind words! As far as jumping on craigslist deals, that's what I did with my scroll saw. 200 bucks for a dewalt 788 that's never been used? Sounds good to me