Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-torquing technique

re-torquing technique

So I probably should have learned this long since, but what's the correct method for re-torquing lug nuts? When I pulled my summer tires off I noticed a couple seemed loose, so decided to follow the recommendation to put the winter tires on, torque them, then drive a day or two and re-torque them. Do you loosen the nut first to get an accurate reading when you re-tighten, or just leave them tight and torque again? Do lug nuts ever spontaneously tighten and require loosening? (seems like it could happen, sometimes it seems to take gorilla strength to get them off)

Thanks!

To re-torque, simply put the wrench on and tighten. Do not loosen them, and the retighten. THAT would be a never ending circus.

If the metal wheel flexes it is possible, but unlikely, that the lugs would "spontaneously" tighten or loosen. More likely loosen from flexing and heat build up. That is why you re-torque after a small amount of driving.

When you torque the lugs, make sure to use a diagonal pattern. Do not simply go around the pattern from one to the next.

I have never re-torqued wheels. Never heard of the requirement to do so.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Roger,

Professionally I had to actually take a class about "torqueing" something to specifications and my torque wrench set was calibrated annually. Contrary to what a lot of people think, including myself until I took the class and experienced it for myself, it's easy to over torque something.

The key to torqueing something is a two step process:

1. There is typically a pattern to use. In the case of more than 4 lug nuts on a wheel, try to do a star pattern torqueing non-neighboring nuts first, torqueing them to about half the specified torque, then torque the remaining nuts to the same value. If you only had 4 lug nuts you would do non-neighboring first, then do the remaining nuts, again to about 1/2 the specified torque.

2. Then repeat the previous process to the final torque value but sneak up on it. When you "sneak" up on the final value, don't try to do it quickly and don't go back to check it. The instructor informed us and we actually experienced "over torqueing" if we went too fast or went back to check the torque.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-14-2014 at 7:06 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My mechanic told me that aluminum rims should be re-torqued after 100-200 miles. Steel rims do not require it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks all, that makes sense--sometimes I over-analyze problems. Learned the star pattern long, long ago, but never had anything as fancy as a torque wrench in my primary car repair years-- just "oops it fell off", "feels pretty good", and "broke the &(^%! bolt"

The most important thing about torquing tires to whatever value the manufacturer asks is to do it under load. So let's say you rotate your own tires. Get the tires on there and snug all the lug nuts down good but not past their torque value. Pull the jacks, jack stands, etc. so the car is resting on the tires like normal. Now torque the wheels to the correct value. Of course, torque in the star pattern as was pointed out a couple of times.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

My experience is that when they torque those suckers on at a tire place or dealership they are much tighter than I can get by hand.

I always torque them in a criss-cross pattern and also, use anti-seize paste on the threads. Never had a lug nut loosen on me but it seems like it's a possibility with the "ultralight" aluminum wheels that are popular on sport-compact cars.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My experience is that when they torque those suckers on at a tire place or dealership they are much tighter than I can get by hand.
    Many shops use pneumatic impact drivers and if they don't set the air pressure correctly for the needed toque, typically they will over torque the lugs. The tire shop I use now, removes the nuts with the impact driver, but they only hand torque the nuts when they put the wheel back on.

Aluminum wheels can relax, just like aluminum wiring, when it is put in compression. Having aluminum wheels retorqued after 50-100 miles is a really good idea.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 11-14-2014 at 6:48 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you use lubricant on threads, as in graphite in anti-seize, the torque needs to go up. Torque charts for bolts have two values. One for dry, and one for lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If you use lubricant on threads, as in graphite in anti-seize, the torque needs to go up. Torque charts for bolts have two values. One for dry, and one for lubed.
    Lubricated threads are tightened to a LOWER torque to create the same downward force. I think you know that, it just came out wrong.

I've always lubricated the lugs on my cars without any problems as long as I'm the only one to touch the wheels. The problems start when a shop takes the lubricated lugs and cranks them down with their uncontrolled air wrenches. The results are stretched or snapped off studs.

So yes, lubricated lug nuts can cause problems. Just not directly.

I've never retorqued the nuts. But then being a Detroit boy, I've never had alloy wheels on a car. Still didn't stop our west side gang from swiping my Cavalier and absconding with the cheap steel wheels.

-Tom

You can get impact torque limiters. My buddy has a big one for his semi wheels it was required for warranty for the rims

Having worked a lot on my own heavy equipment, I believe that Caterpillar's torque specs cause the bolts to actually stretch some by design and maintain a sort of tension. All Cat fasteners (nuts and capscrews) are grade 8, and Caterpillar recommends that one should never re-use the fasteners, as their strength has been compromised due to the stretching. Working on the undercarriage of our D-6 and D-8, we had to bring the 1.125" coarse thread bolts to 1280 lbs. That was done using guesswork. But we did remove and re-install the hardware with a 4-1 torque multiplier. It was a gearbox with a 3/4" square drive on the backside for a ratchet or breaker bar, and a 1" square drive on the drive side for 1" sockets...... and a 6' pipe for leverage. This was of course done in our own small shop. Caterpillar's shops have the latest and greatest tools and accessories. We have 4 different sizes of ratchet type torque wrenches, the biggest only goes to 250 lbs. We are always checking and re-tourqeing the fasteners holding the wheel rims on the dump trucks and trailers. I think that the weight on the trucks flexes the rims or something, because they frequently loosen up and we replace the hardware once in a while as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My mechanic told me that aluminum rims should be re-torqued after 100-200 miles. Steel rims do not require it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have never re-torqued wheels. Never heard of the requirement to do so.
    I just changed a wheel on my utility trailer last night. The mfg says to re-torque the lug nuts after 10-15 miles and again after 50 miles, (if I remember what I read last night correctly). These are steel wheels.