Thread: Painting Cast Iron

Painting Cast Iron

I have some antique cast iron wish bone lathe legs. I took them to be sandblasted.
    I plan to spray them with Rust-olium. I am going to prime them today. I was going
    wipe them down with thinner and spray away. Does this sound like the way to go.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

You could use stove paint on it

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    I have some antique cast iron wish bone lathe legs. I took them to be sandblasted.
    I plan to spray them with Rust-olium. I am going to prime them today. I was going
    Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Sean hughto has a picture of a plane casting he painted with rustoleum and it looks pretty good.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...06#post2311106

Rust-o-leum is made to do just that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Sounds fine. You could also use a coat of self-etching primer if you really felt like it. I find that it gives a more uniform look when done but that's splitting hairs.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

If they are worth the investment how about powder coating, or even chrome..........?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Ive done that a couple different times with cast iron. Worked fine. Held up a long time outside.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you want, prime with the Rust-O-Leum primer but CI seems to be so "toothy" that the oil based paint sticks pretty darn good even without.

The "professional" stuff dries a lot quicker than the original formula.

I like the look of Hammered paint.
    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...ed-spray-paint
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale