Thread: Shaker Hutch Finally Done

Shaker Hutch Finally Done

To those of you who have helped me over the several years I've been making this Martin Milkovitz inspired step back Shaker hutch, my thanks and a picture. I still have a little finishing to do on the crown molding and the doors, but this is essentially it in its new home in my dining room.

One problem. The table top on the right front end is warping slightly. You can't see it but the right door slightly scrapes against it about five inches from the end as it opens. I've planed as much of the bottom of the door as I dare, but, given the slight curve I've already introduced with planing, if I took the door off and cut the door down even 1/32nd of an inch straight, I'd have quite a gap at the bottom. I've thought about sanding or planing the edge of table top a little, but I fear the warping is going to continue, so I'm not sure that's really a solution either. The lower unit has been done for about eight months but the warpage wasn't noticeable until both the top and door went on. I tightened the screw in the button that holds the table top on closest to the problem, which might have taken 1/64th out, but the door still scrapes a little. I can't put a larger (#10 1 1/2 inch) screw there because with the countersink hole it will just barely breach the top of the table if I really crank it down. Any ideas?

Stepped Back Hutch.JPG

Blog Entries
    Can you shorten the point of the screw an 1/8" on a belt sander?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Can you shorten the point of the screw an 1/8" on a belt sander?
    I can certainly give that a try. Thanks.

That's really beautiful. Job well done.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

That's a very pretty piece that you have made , when I make A two piece unit I puta inch and a half bottom rail on the upper , gives the door some clearance I know that won't help now
    Last edited by John A langley; 11-14-2014 at 5:57 PM. Reason: Adding information
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

That's lovely! Maybe someday my skills are good enough to even TRY something like this.

What Shinta-San said. Very nice.

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    That's a very pretty piece that you have made , when I make A two piece unit I puta inch and a half bottom rail on the upper , gives the door some clearance I know that won't help now
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you use an 1 and 1/2" bottom rail so that you can cut it down if necessary to clear the lower unit? Doesn't that still leave an unsightly gap between the door and the top of the lower unit? I worked really hard to have a uniform gap around the doors, but probably a larger gap is better than scraping.

Thanks to all of you for your kinds words. I've have really enjoyed making this, have learned a lot, and my daughter is saying she's glad that she's an only child.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work. Can you add some self stick felt to the bottom of the upper unit to raise it up slightly while protecting the top of the lower unit to help with your door problem?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Very nice work. Can you add some self stick felt to the bottom of the upper unit to raise it up slightly while protecting the top of the lower unit to help with your door problem?
    That seems like a great idea, easy and not visible. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Bingo. I didn't have any felt, but I put a Fast Cap screw cover (.0027 mm) under both sides of the front face frame. The door swings perfectly and you can't see the fix. Thanks.