Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I just bought the Knew Concept fret saw, and I don't like it.

Blog Entries
    [
    Side comment - it's not out of bounds for the people who gravitate toward coping saw blades to touch them up quickly with a file after getting them out of package. Eventually they break, but not nearly as often as a fretsaw blade, and they cut like crazy when they've been touched up with a file (which only takes about two minutes).[/QUOTE]

Will you elaborate on this? I've clamped new blades to take some of the set out.

Are you reshaping the teeth? How do you clamp them when filing?

I clamp them in a machinist vise and just make a single file pass with a xx slim file on each tooth.

I don't know of anything else (other than a machinist vise) that would be fine enough to hold them (though maybe two small hollowed pieces of hardwood could be biased to put pressure on a blade right at the edge). Most of the blades out there are "close" to being good, and a single file pass makes them very keen.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 11-16-2014 at 12:08 PM.

I've never used one of KC saws but every time I see one I think of the old line, "if you believe that, I've got a bridge I'd
    like to sell you". I don't need a small bridge, but concede that the long span might help some keep the blade path going in
    the right direction.

For me, it is not a new tool being released, but rather the blather posted by bloggers that seem to have far more time to play with a computer than making things! I figured if I saw some of the guys on forums posting about how a new tool is the greatest thing since sliced bread, then I consider it. Otherwise, if what I have works, then, i ignore. If what I have works very well and is a fraction of the cost, I ignore the too and stick with what works for me. For others, the opposite may be true, as in the end it's all in how we use our tools.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

If after all this someone is looking for a KC fretsaw, there's one for sale on the Canadian WW forum. Cdn$70 (~US$60)

Not mine.

If anyone thinks the Knew Concepts saws can enhance their sawing skills, they soon will find out it is not the case. I have used the Knew saw and would not recommend them to my students unless they are buying them just because they like the look and style of the saw.

If we think the saws are expensive and not much better than what we already have been using, wait till you see those $90+ handles made for the Knew Concepts saws. I haven't had the luck to try one out because all of my woodworking partners and friends think it is ridiculous to spend that kind of money on a tool handle. But then woodworkers are known or infamous for throwing money at things that won't make money sense.

Simon

If someone want a modern stylish looking saw, I'm sure Knew Concepts is the way to go. I have every reason to believe that the KC cuts wood as well as my $11 coping saw, so the choice comes down to one of personal preference. I think it's ugly, so I'm not going to pay 10-15 time more for a saw I find unattractive. Even if I found it to be the most stylish and beautiful coping saw I'd ever seen, I'd only be willing to pay and extra $5.

The $150 saved will buy a nice supply of quality blades.

Honestly, any coping saw where the harp provides enough tension and the blade doesn't spin is a good saw.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    I will have to try that on my bow saw blade. It is too grabby for me, but it is sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I will have to try that on my bow saw blade. It is too grabby for me, but it is sharp.
    You can take a file and kiss 5% of the rake off of it with a single file pass or two, it'll still be sharp and it won't be as grabby. I don't know if your blade is crosscut or rip, but you don't have to work the whole tooth when you're finding what you like from it, of course. Some of the bowsaw blades (and some inexpensive handsaws) have a bit of a hook to the tooth, I guess just due to whatever is cutting the teeth. I don't know how they can make blades like that if they ever actually use them. Maybe it's a cost issue, but people should at least be able to use tools at a functional level, and if not, they should include a slip of paper telling you what you need to do to make them workable.

I was hesitant and skeptical on several aspects of the Knew Concepts fret saw, but I eventually bought one of the aluminum fret saws out of frustration with other saws I had tried. It took a couple of careful readings of the instructions on inserting the blade to achieve the promised blade tension. I find that it serves me well now that I have tried a few different types of blades from Pegus. Since I cut mostly 3/4" hardwoods with it, I am not really qualified to do a comprehensive review of the Knew concepts fret saw. The complaints about the handle, except the surprisingly crude appearance of it, did not register with me. I was never tempted to buy the over-the-top aftermarket replacement handle.

From what I have read, I would caution the user to go lightly with the blade tensioning feature on the saw. It would not be difficult to apply tension that exceeds the capacity of the aluminum frame. Once that happens, the saw is pretty much wall decoration. I also doubt that this maker could be counted on to replace a damaged saw at no cost, so buyer beware.

Mainly out of curiosity, is anyone, that has a Knew Concept saw, able to saw to your DT baseline and NOT have to cleanup afterwards with a chisel?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

NOT have to cleanup afterwards with a chisel?
    NO -- if you're talking about the tight, clean joints we all expect to see from a good joint.
    Yes -- if the kinds of joints Frank K. did with his bow saw.

But I think Knew Concepts doesn't claim or is intended to be used to cut the baseline without a follow-up with a chisel.

Simon

I've asked that question before. if you have to chop the waste what does it matter what fret/coping saw you use. so far no one says they just saw. I wont go into price...you wouldn't believe what my flyrod and guitars cost.

I've been there on the guitars, too, John. It's all a matter of perspective in the costs, I guess. I think the idea of a $90 handle (or whatever it is) is pretty ludicrous, but it's someone else's money and sometimes if something motivates me, $90 is nothing. I recognize it as an indulgence, and the part where I divide from the blog world where it's like half of the vocabulary is off limits.

I mentioned yesterday getting minder PMs because I am opinionated and direct. There have been times in the past when I criticize something as being an indulgence but promoted as a necessity that I get minder posts from vendors suggesting that I am starving children (I have actually gotten posts about "taking food out of kids' mouths"). That's an instant off for me from a vendor. It is not an adversarial situation where I agree with the whole "hiding your cards and making opinions off limits".

That said, I think the guy who makes these saws (Lee) sounds like a good guy, and none of that is directed at him. He's got a segment of the market to sell to, and to the extent that people love his stuff, they should buy it. To the extent they don't, they can ignore anyone telling them that they should. As soon as we get into this hobby and start feeling like it creates a web of obligations or a web of out of bounds territory, then it's not much fun. If we want to be told of someone else's opinions that we should live by, we can go back to our mothers and wives.

This is a do what you want hobby, I see it that way with other peoples' opinions and mine is just hot air, too, if it doesn't resonate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Mainly out of curiosity, is anyone, that has a Knew Concept saw, able to saw to your DT baseline and NOT have to cleanup afterwards with a chisel?
    Tony - I'm never not making dovetails for something, but your challenge (which I know you didn't suggest as such) is something I think I'll take on at some point. Sellers does it in a lot of videos. I come down and then across with a coping saw, and I'm pretty sure I could cut some good baselines in softwood with a coping saw, as long as the inside of the drawer isn't vital. I've not seen the inside of the drawer on sellers' cuts in white pine, but the outside looks decent. If he can do it, we can do.

(now, who is willing to give up the white glove care on the looks of the inside of a drawer, though).