Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein, Festool, or Rigid Shopvac

Fein, Festool, or Rigid Shopvac

I need to replace my screaming Rigid shop vac and would like opinions for or against any specific brand/model. Might as well throw in the new Bosch models as well. What say you all??
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I'm a fan of the Festool because I have "the system", but Fien and Bosch also have relatively quieter options than the typical home center "shop vacs". But honestly, what you're using it for matters, too. For just general cleanup, the typical "shop vac" is the better buy even though you need to wear hearing protection when using it. I do have a small Rigid for that purpose. If you're going to be using the vac with small tools for dust extraction, then the other units are likely better because of their features and quietness. It's still best to wear hearing protection, but they are usually not "screamers" like "regular" shop vacs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For the price, the Rigid works just fine, although quite noisy. We get by with a couple of them on jobsites, with several of the Gore filters on hand, so one is always dry while ones that have been washed are drying.

I have a Rigid in my shop which is used primarily for router table chip extraction. The router table operating noise is so loud I barely notice the shop vac running so for me spending big dollars on a Euro vac would be a waste.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have the Fein turbo III. I couldn’t see paying for the Festool Vac (although I have their track saw & sander). The Turbo III’s big, I’d probably go for a smaller size today.
    Good points are it’s quiet, adjustable suction, and tool controlled on and off. Other than that it’s pretty basic. it can use round canister style filters, so I fitted a Sears hepa filter to it (I had one hanging around). The latest smaller Feins are more Festool shaped.

I bought one of the "quiet" ones from Home Depot (I think it's a Ridgid). They have a label on each vacuum that tells you how noisy it is. Pick the quiet one. I'm sure the Festool, Fein or Bosch is quieter.

I have mine connected to my sander and occasionally to the Domino. When I'm using the tool, I can't hear the vacuum. Sometimes I disconnect the hose and turn the tool on and check that the vacuum is working. I have a sensor (iVac, if I remember correctly) so the vac only turns on when I turn the tool on. I also put one of those router variable speed devices (from Harbor Freight) on it so I can slow it down.

The combination of the HD quiet vac and the sensor/variable speed was a lot less expensive than a Festool.

Mike

[As someone else commented, I use a bag in my vacuum to keep the filter from clogging up. For my use for sanding, it lasts a long time before I have to change the bag.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-15-2014 at 2:43 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Miller View Post
    I have the Fein turbo III.
    Me too. 10 yrs old. Performs flawlessly.

Primary function is hooked up to a long [20' ?] intake hose, with pwr cord zip-tied to it. Up and across - set up so I can drop it down from above to bench - ROS, belt sander, router pickup. Plenty of power.

OR, disconnect that hose and stick in the std vac hose for shop cleanup.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    I have the festool for use with other festools, but it works nicely as a quiet shop vac as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have a big metal Ridgid that is primarily for router table chip collection. I put a bag in it so I am not constantly changing filters. It has lasted much longer than I had hoped. Still noisy, but not nearly as bad as some. I would certainly buy another if I needed to replace it.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Blog Entries
    I have an older 9 gallon Fein turbo II and really like it. It has really good suction and you can actually talk to someone in the same room when it is running without screaming.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In general, what ever your solution, I'd put some sort of separator between the tool and the vac. Saves on filters bug time. A Thien is easy to build and works reasonably well. A true cyclone is better but can take more space.

It does cost some flow/pressure but it's worth it because you will burn through filters otherwise.

edit, er, that's big time...
    Last edited by Phil Barrett; 11-15-2014 at 1:31 PM.

Oneida Dust Cobra

Still the best of the best hands down.

Don't overlook the Porter Cable vacs designed to use with a drywall sander. Quiet, good filtration, and have a triggered outlet at a reasonable price. I have had one for years that I use on sight for chop saws, biscuit joiner, etc. I have a Ridgid that I have hated for years but it is used just for cleanup and it will not break. It gets beat to death and just keeps going. I have a Fein that does not leave the shop other than when my wife steals it for serious house cleaning. She likes it because it is quiet and has more power. No problems. I have never owned a Festool or a Bosch.

Larry

I've had the new Bosch VAC090S for about a month now and I'm very pleased with it. It beats the heck out of the old ShopVac and Sears vacuums I've used before, but then I think any of the ones you've names would. With a fiber mesh bag and HEPA filter nothing is coming out the exhaust except air. I can't hear it over the sound of the sander, which is quite a change. The only disappointment is that it doesn't come with a fitting that will connect to the Bosch hose on my Bosch ROS without duct tape to make the connection.

I have an old Craftsman 16 gal. and a newer Festool CT-26. The Festool is so quiet and does such a good job I've come to hate using the Craftsman.