Thread: jet parallel clamp not square

jet parallel clamp not square

I recently purchased some 42" jet parallel clamps and one of them had a tail piece that was quite a bit out of square to the bar. In the attached pic the gap between the machinist's square and the tail piece is almost 1/8". When I clamp a heavy square block with the clamp, that gap never quite closes and the block comes up off the bar a little. The other clamps have a gap but they are less than 1/16". Seems like the tail piece should be dead on square. Any thoughts? Should I return the bad one? Thanks.

jet clamp.JPG

Blog Entries
    If you are dissatisfied with it and it differs from the others I would get a replacement. If I get a bargain on something I may expect to fiddle with it a bit. Jet clamps are competitively priced (read high) and should be top quality. I checked a few of my older German Besseys and they are all at .5 degrees which leaves a fat 1/32" opening when a square is positioned as you show.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For the money the clamp should be promised with tighter tolerances. I'd return the the pictured clamp for certain; for the rest of the clamps I'd probably call Jet and ask what their guaranteed tolerance is for that model and then proceed accordingly.

I don't mind paying good money for good tools, but IMO too many mfg's are relaxing their mfg tolerances without relaxing their prices.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Call and send the picture to Jet customer support. They sent me 4 new 24" clamps few weeks ago free of charge. Their customer service is great.
    Mike

I didn't have the exact same problem but.... Jet customer service was really good. I purchased some Jet parallels on Amazon back in March while on 50% off. They were backordered and just arrived a few weeks ago. Anyway, one of them had some screws that were stripped out. A single 5 minute call to Jet and I had a brand new one about 3 days later. Just give them a call and I bet they'll make it right with little hassle.

Thanks guys. I'll give them a call.

Id think theyd be toed in slightly so they'd square under clamping pressure but they should all be consistent.

I only have a few because I don't care for them but none have ever been able to clamp perfectly square anyway. With heavy clamping preasure the beam bends which means the jaws toe out anyway.