Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Slab table jointing help

Whats it look like underneath Prashun? Curious about the suports for the leg attachment. Also, the finish looks nice - how many coats of Waterlox did you use?

Thanks. I'm still putting on more Waterlox OSF. I've put on 4 thin coats so far. I mixed it with about 10% BLO and am wiping on/wiping off. The finish is (intentionally) in-the-wood. My neighbor and I both don't want a thick film. If that means some dings and scratches along the way, so be it. I'm finishing for sheen and feel, not for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Ok Kent, you have a point. But near me, the 60" pipes are between $12 and $15/pc. So, if I need 6-10 of them, it can add up. I know, keep it in perspective.
    Not arguing, but that does not seem right to me............a 120" section of 3/4" black pipe @ BORG in Atlanta is, like, $12. They make 1 cut and thread the ends for free - so that is more like 6 bucks per 60" section.

But - hey - whatever works for you is certainly fine by me. Can't argue with the tactics nor the results.

Over the years, bit-by-bit, I have accumulated about 30 pieces of black pipe of various lengths, with the intention of swapping heads as needed.

Then, over the years, I started scarfing up clamps when a "deal" presented itself - like on the Creek. That's lame, I know, I know........but, still........Now I have heads on all pipes except my 2 @ 96" - those critters rarely come off the rack.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

My other prob with clamps - at least the black pipes - is that I have nary a space to store them. They invariably get leaned up against a wall. Then, when I am precariously moving something, I push one, and the whole thing Jengas to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    My other prob with clamps - at least the black pipes - is that I have nary a space to store them. They invariably get leaned up against a wall. Then, when I am precariously moving something, I push one, and the whole thing Jengas to the ground.
    Not only is that not a problem, that is actually the avenue for the perfect solution. PM coming shortly
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 11-26-2014 at 5:49 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Prashun,

I had the same problem with clamps taking up too much space and staying unorganized. Until I noticed a rack for clamps on sale at Highland Woodworking. This little guy is less than 2 feet square at the bottom, yet it is holding 28 (4'-1') clamps. I suspect I can just about double what I have on it currently. It is on locking casters so I can move it around the shop too:
    ClampRack.jpg

Oddly I am finding the picture of this clamp rack at Highland now but not a SKU or price to link to. They have some other rack they are selling now, not sure if they still carry this item, although I imagine someone is. I like mine. The little horizontal bars are a little close together which sometimes means I have to turn the clamps to get them on the rack but they are secure and I can get a bunch of clamps in that small space.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-28-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have 8' clamps clamped to a floor joist.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Get a length of 1" PVC pipe.

Go to the BS. For each pipe / clamp, cut 2 pcs 1" +/- long.

Stand on end, and cut into the middle with the BS.

Rotate the piece about 120*, and cut your way back out.

You have a chunk of PVC with maybe 40% missing.

This will snap firmly on a 3/4" black pipe.

Mount 2 of these, and snap the pipe into them.

Mount them on a 4 x 2, mount the 4 x 2 to the wall, and you have clearance for pipes with clamps on them.

Better yet - if you have a section of unfinished wall, mounte them between the studs - that is wasted space anyway.

Photos availabe if anyone cares about seeing them.

Also - cut anothe pair for each pipe. You can move them to any position on the pipe. Perfect stand-offs to keep the pipe above the glue line.