Thread: Burl hunting (Wood gloat)

Burl hunting (Wood gloat)

Around here the primary hardwood available (Other than the odd yard tree that someone takes down) is "paper birch" which can be pretty plain in it's usual form, but when you are lucky enough to find burls, the figure can be amazing.

I go in search of more exciting pieces of wood and burls whenever possible once the sap is down for the year. This burl is the latest......

I wish they could be found closer to the road, but most require a good hike and a pack board to retrieve.

This one was so symmetrical, I barely had to knock the corners off to mount it on the lathe.

Quite stunning figure!!

Very fortunate to have a member in our turning club with a Woodcut coring system, who was kind enough to core these for me......

All put away in paper bags now and the waiting can begin.....Good thing I have a rotation of seasoned wood now.

Gloat it is. What size and weight was the burl? Where do you get paper bags that large?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Gloat it is. What size and weight was the burl? Where do you get paper bags that large?
    The burl was about 90 pounds when I packed it out last Sunday.....I have a store here that keeps large paper "leaf bags"...They work great!

cool, thanks for sharing.......that's a pretty large area of woods up there