Thread: Finished the pantry remodel

Blog Entries

Finished the pantry remodel

Years ago I built a pantry for LOML as there wasn't enough storage in the kitchen. It had pull out shelves on the right and a home made floor to ceiling lazy susan on the left. The problem was that things on the lazy susan would be pushed off the back, because I couldn't find a satisfactory lip for the 3/4" thick disk shelves.

I took the old one out and replaced the cheap paneling in the back and sides with dry wall. I attempted to make the walls perfectly plumb and perpendicular to each other so that fitting in the frame for the adjustable shelf supports and drawer slides would end up parallel to each other. Thus making the shelves fit anywhere in the two sides. I was off a little and had to add a shim to the frame on the left side to get the width spacing right. After putting in all the sliding trays only one right at the floor level doesn't self close.

I added a fixed self at the top and 10 full extension shelves. After putting everything in it looks like we could use 2 more shelf/trays so they are no on my to do list. The pull out trays are made from 1/2" thick poplar with 3/8" plywood bottoms. They are supported by Knape and Voght 28" KV8450FM soft close slides. The adjustable risers are QUICKTRAY™ ROLLOUT SYSTEM kits which make the shelves height adjustable in 2" increments. There isn't enough room in the hall way where it is located to get a straight on photo.
    IMG_8727 Stitch_small.jpg
    IMG_8729_small.jpg

I purchased a double door pre-hung 6 panel door and installed a light switch in the jamb to turn the light inside on/off when the door was opened. The doors are held shut with ball detent catches at the top.

LOML ordered some wire racks for canned goods and plastic containers to organize food items in the new pantry and moved everything in within minutes of when the last tray was put in.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-15-2014 at 4:04 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That Quicktray looks like a nice system. I bought a couple sets but have yet to install them...will do soon. I'm glad to hear it is working out well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Like it! So where did the "loml" find the metal rack? Is it a coincidence that it fits the shelf?

And I appreciate the comment on the floor to ceiling lazy susan - I'll skip that step and go with this system

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clifton View Post
    Like it! So where did the "loml" find the metal rack? Is it a coincidence that it fits the shelf?

And I appreciate the comment on the floor to ceiling lazy susan - I'll skip that step and go with this system
    Sorry for the late response. She got the metal can rack on Amazon. To be truthful, we had the dimensions of the shelf and looked for one that would fit. I did have to modify one side of the trays where the can stacker is so you can get the lower cans out. The rack assembly instructions are terrible.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute