Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop announces a new jobsite saw...

SawStop announces a new jobsite saw...

I'm listening to Fine Woodworking's Shop Talk Live podcast, #72. Steve Gass has just announced a jobsite SawStop saw. "We're expecting it to retail at $1,299," said Steve Gass. The saw is intended for the same market as the Bosch and DeWalt units, i.e. the $500-$600 jobsite saws.

Next month or two they'll be out to their dealers. Weight approx 78lbs, 100+ on the stand.
    Last edited by John Sanford; 11-16-2014 at 5:05 AM. Reason: additional info
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

That will be a great addition to their line, I do know you can get a stand for the contractor saw but it is still a lot more saw then what a job site would be.
    The price my be a killer on it for a job site saw.

Didn't they announce this once already, years ago? I went to the website then and never found an update. I went just now and still don't see any information about it. That's certainly one path to safety. No saw for you!

That is pretty interesting to me.. I'd be interested to see if they can solve what I've always hated about those saws in the substandard fence...

If it is high quality, I think it would be awesome for me and easy to move around every so often without hiring movers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Didn't they announce this once already, years ago? I went to the website then and never found an update. I went just now and still don't see any information about it. That's certainly one path to safety. No saw for you!
    It's been rumoured and hinted for some time, but to my knowledge nobody from SawStop has ever said "it's ready and will be on the market in 2 months or less", much less has Gass said it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Interesting. I'm imagining a point where vendors will present buyers of TS's with a waiver indicating they have been made aware that Sawstop technology is available, and that the vendor assumes no responsibility should the buyer get injured. If SS has an option available for every circumstance and the vendor makes those options available I would think the vendor becomes free of liability? In the same pod cast they announced an appeals court decided against the defendants appeal in the TS case? So this whole story is still playing out? At some point does the brake become a requisite? I'm amazed that the shops where I work haven't moved to a SS given the potential liability.

I just bought a PCS yesterday. Had a hand injury in June on my Bosch saw, my fault not the saw's fault. It truly only takes a split second lapse in attention to do something stupid. My head hasn't been in the game of woodworking until just the last few weeks. I think I'm ready to get to it. Been working on building my boat again. Another Sawstop customer chatting with me yesterday had a worse hand injury than mine, so we chatted and he gave me info on the saw. I never would have considered a Sawstop simply because of the price, but my family was adamant that I go that route. My ER, surgery bills and hand therapy (thankful for insurance) tallies up to about 10 times the cost of a nicely equipped PCS. Maybe insurance companies should just foot the bill for these saws, sounds dumb to say but actuaries just might agree someday. I do realize a Sawstop will only help minimize possible injuries not fix lapses in our attention of using the saws.

Personally I absolutely loved my Bosch 4100. I had that thing dialed in very accurately. If Sawstop ever releases a comparable saw with the brake tech, then there should be a large market for it I'm sure.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 11-16-2014 at 3:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    Personally I absolutely loved my Bosch 4100. I had that thing dialed in very accurately. If Sawstop ever releases a comparable saw with the brake tech, then there should be a large market for it I'm sure.
    Depending on how well the saw works, I'd consider the jobsite unit.

A few months ago someone posted a link to a SS page that had pics of the jobsite saw, and it looked strikingly similar to the Bosch.

Last edited by Myk Rian; 11-16-2014 at 5:23 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Nope, the pictures were removed shortly after a link was posted. It was a jobsite saw w/ universal motor and aluminum table. Looked just like the Bosch.

OK. This one?
    sawstop2.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I guess the are getting ahead of the ball due to the recent law suit I read in the FWW email.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...orking-eletter

You can't protect stupid. Well, I guess you can with Saw Stop.

Nope, the pics that were linked showed a plastic base, similar to the Bosch.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I'm amazed that the shops where I work haven't moved to a SS given the potential liability.
    I'm not a professional, but for my hobby shop I would love to have a SawStop, but the thing that keeps me from buying one is that it's not made in the USA... and I bet there are a lot of folks out there that feel the same way. I have a shop full of quality made USA tools and I'm not about to buy something that's not made here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unless your shop is full of old iron, it is tough to have only tools made in the USA. Anything with a casting went offshore long ago.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville