Thread: Thinwalled Trembling Aspen 13.5"

Thinwalled Trembling Aspen 13.5"

I turned this just recently from a tall larger Trembling Aspen tree that had just died after last summer, had my BIL give me a hand by letting him pull on a rope I had tied to the tree as high as I could get it, that way it fell neatly where it didn’t do much damage and where I could get at it easily as well, normally I have to do this myself after the tree starts to fall, not as easy and I have to be quick

Anyway the tree was cut into firewood lengths, but the lower part pieces where too heavy for me to lift, so I sawed all of them in two halves, from one of those pieces have I turned this bowl.

The rim is about 3/16 “ and thinner just below the rim, I have to admit it isn’t the prettiest wood around, but when light strikes it and passes through it, the translucence does give it a bit more appeal, ................... I think

Trembling Aspen.jpg 1 Trembling Aspen.jpg Trembling Aspen profile.jpg Trembling Aspen bottom.jpg Trembling Aspen lighted.jpg
    Have fun and take care

I think the grain looks great for a bowl that large. Sure a good looking bowl in my book!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    I think the grain looks great for a bowl that large. Sure a good looking bowl in my book!
    Sid
    I agree with Sid Leo. When I first read the title and saw the bowl I thought the title might be referring to vibration of the bowl when turning, now I am wondering is that the name of the Aspen species. I have not heard of it before but then I am not very knowledgeable of wood species.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post

Sid
    Thank you for replying Sid , It is a not a very great looking wood, but overall it isn’t as bad as it is often accused of being 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

That's a big purty bowl and a lot of color for aspen also.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I agree with Sid Leo. When I first read the title and saw the bowl I thought the title might be referring to vibration of the bowl when turning, now I am wondering is that the name of the Aspen species. I have not heard of it before but then I am not very knowledgeable of wood species.
    Thank you James , If any trembling, it would have been me I think James , There are a few Aspen species and a few closely related to them as well, Trembling and Quaking Aspen are two long stemmed leave trees where the leaves will twist and tremble in the slightest breeze, there is also Balsam Poplar and Large tooth Aspen and hybrids of these, they have the fast growth and soft wood in common, very often confused with Birch 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Leo, I like it. It's certainly not boring. Will the translucence last? My wife loves quaking aspen when we visit Colorado, but we don't have any here in Indiana.

It looks wonderful. Very neat job!

Leo - I think the wood looks great but really like the form and the thickness of this bowl! Would be great for a popcorn bowl - single serving size of course!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Leo
    Like the others I am very impressed with the form and what you have done with colour to enhance the appearance.

I have two questions:
    1 Did you turn this green all the way through in one shot? If so, I think that double congratulations are in order, given the diameter.
    2. We have a lot of poplar-like trees around here that are pleasant enough to look at, but from the turners' point of view I have dismissed without much thought. Were you just lucky or is there a species or sub species that is worth looking out for?
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    That's a big purty bowl and a lot of color for aspen also.
    Thank you Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    Leo, I like it. It's certainly not boring. Will the translucence last? My wife loves quaking aspen when we visit Colorado, but we don't have any here in Indiana.
    Thanks Eric for commenting , I would expect the wood to stay translucent Eric, We had 2 swag-type lamps in our bedroom for just shy of 40 years and they were still translucent when we left there, and there is/was a turner on the East Coast (I forget his name) who made/makes lampshades from large Aspen/Poplar logs, see pic., and I do believe.expect them to stay translucent

Bell & flare lamp shades.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    It looks wonderful. Very neat job!
    Thanks for commenting Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Leo - I think the wood looks great but really like the form and the thickness of this bowl! Would be great for a popcorn bowl - single serving size of course!
    Thanks for the comments Steve, yup, and yes this one would be slightly on the large side for a single serving of popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by John Shillabeer View Post
    Leo
    Like the others I am very impressed with the form and what you have done with colour to enhance the appearance.

I have two questions:
    1 Did you turn this green all the way through in one shot? If so, I think that double congratulations are in order, given the diameter.
    2. We have a lot of poplar-like trees around here that are pleasant enough to look at, but from the turners' point of view I have dismissed without much thought. Were you just lucky or is there a species or sub species that is worth looking out for?
    Regards
    John
    Thank you John , the color is the natural color of the wood as it was in this log, I only added the Polymerized Tung oil as a finish on it.

Yes it got turned in one shot, as for the trees you have there, you won’t be able to see the inside without opening it up, turning it like I did, just give it a shot, all you can get is fancy firewood it it doesn’t work out, and good practice as well.
    It is not like you are wasting some expensive wood
    Have fun and take care