Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest Windsors, rockers

Whooooooweee !

Color me green and send you a gloat award !!

Great job.

Probably my favorite pieces I've seen on here in a while. I absolutely love your twist on the traditional windsor style as the bulbous turnings are not my style. Just stunning work on every one of those chairs, I hope someday I can get somewhere close to that level with my endevour in chair making. I have been inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Millspaw View Post
    Thanks for the praise and comments guys.

Kyle, i haven't had any issues with bending the continuous arms. I have broken a couple, but i determined it was due to wood degradation. As long as the blank is prepared correctly, carefully following the grain at the three bending points, It's no problem.

Jim, i guess that i have been working toward removing things more than adding them lately. If you notice on the two red chairs, they still have a flat spindle deck. On the others i have removed it and gone to a smooth transition right up to the edge.

-Brian
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
    I bought my chairs, rather than undertake this effort.

The joinery alone is worthy of praise.
    Adding your touch to a classic design,
    that's what artists manage.

Me, I'm just trying to make things that don't fall over.

Well done! I love the personal and contemporary variations on the classic Windsor design.

Blog Entries
    Brian,
    I would be interested in hearing about the process you use making these chairs.
    I have made one Sack Back Windsor and also several M&T rocking chairs.
    I can't get my mind around the process you used to make these chairs.
    They are outstanding in both design and execution.

Are the chairs green wood, steamed and bent?

My work doesn't come close to the level you have.

I have made many a chair, over the decades, but I have to admit, you have me eating your dust. graceful & elegant, is as close as i can come. the arm of chair in pic 2 is so lovely & i have never seen one like it. The legs & undercarriage, just delight me. What do I think of your chairs? YOU ROCK! And they are STELLAR!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I love 'em ! They're gorgeous .. very stylish. ..Not a straight line to be seen. The curves are elegant and proportional. I love the ballet legs.