Thread: Cutting 1095 spring steel

Cutting 1095 spring steel

I started cutting out the saw plate for my panel saw yesterday. I'm using 1095 blue spring steel 0.032" thick.

I dont' have access to a sheer, so in the past, for smaller saws, I just used an angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel. This works, but I've never been able to cut very straight this way and always have quite a bit of cleanup to do after wards. I also hate using an angle grinder and the shower of sparks.

With a 24" long saw plate, I decided to try something different. I have a small, cheap, tile cutting wet saw I bought a few years back during some remodeling.
    I replaced the diamond wheel with a 4-1/2" thin, abrasived metal cutting wheel (the same one I used on my angle grinder). I don't know if it is the best idea to use the cut-off wheel with water, but I decided I would go slow and give it a try, and I figured it was safer than using the angle grinder anyway since it at least had a gaurd over the wheel and only a small part of the wheel is exposed.

I have to say it worked better than I had hoped. The water kept the steel cool, and almost no sparks. I was carefull to not put any side pressure on the thin wheel. The cut came out very clean and straight. This was cutting freehand without using the fence.

I guess for hardened steel of thin thickness this worked well, although I don't think I would ever do it with something I could already cut with a hacksaw. I've never tried it, but I bet mild steel could probably gum up and bind and possible break the wheel?

I see no harm in cooling water on a grinding wheel! Don't these tile cutters run very slow? The cut off disks like speed, so I think it would be a slow process.

I also see no problem in mild steel. I've cut tons of mild steel with my angle grinder. At some point you loose the angst and it is just another tool.

The abrasive cut off wheel can be used safely for mild steel. Ferrous material. HOWEVER aluminium is not the material for abrasive cut off. It will clog up the wheel and possibly bind the cut. I was thinking about the tile wetting saw for my metal work. Not very happy with the jigsaw. The angle grinder can work but the cut would not be clean free hand.

When I was restoring my old Volvo, the angle grinder was the main tool for all demolition work. Until I hit a spot that was brazed with copper or something like that. It only smeared, the wheel quickly loaded up and I could dig out the cold chisel again.

Woodworking is soooooooo much nicer then antique car restoration!

Yup. Metal work is a different beast. Not that fun compared to shavings.