Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning a snowblower?

Turning a snowblower?

I have never used a snowblower except the one that I have, and I don't much care for it; but perhaps they are all the same.

The wheels rotate together, so there is no way to turn it except to muscle it around. It is almost easier to shovel than to fight with the snowblower.
    Are they all like that?

As long as I am on the subject, it didn't run properly the first time I tried to use it the second year. Fortunately my wife ignored me and bought a maintenance agreement. The repair man didn't even look at it, he just replaced the carburetor. He said it fails regularly, but all snowblowers did the same thing. Could that be true? My lawnmower carburetors have never clogged and they are cheaper than the snowblower.
    It ran fine this year; am I out of the woods? (the maintenance agreement is up for renewal)

The one I have is:
    http://www.searsoutlet.com/Snow-Blow...34&mode=seeAll

That's the same one I have, but mine is an MTD. I've had it 10 trouble free years. I run the gas out of it in the spring, and store it.
    I did have to replace the drive belt and friction ring last year. Following the directions, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
    It throws 18" snowfalls easily, in 1st or 2nd gear. The less snow you have, the higher speed you go.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

No...they are not all like that. Yes, you have to muscle them around a bit. No..you should not have those kinds of problems with the engine starting and carb problems. I do the regular maintenance on mine. I use a gas conditioner in it all the time. In addition, at the end of the snow season, I follow the recommendations for storing it. I change the oil, check the air filter, treat the gas with stabil, fill the tank completely, turn off the gas valve from the tank and run the carburetor completely dry. I pull the spark plug and check the gap, put a small amount of oil in the cylinder and pull the starter rope slowly without the spark plug wire on it.

I just pulled the snow blower out of where I store it, turned the gas on and it started with the first pull. It has done this every year for the past 10 or so years.

I do this with all my gas powered equipment and do the maintenance at the end of the season. I also just finished doing similar things to lawn mower, tractor and weed whips. Yes, it is kind of a pain and some would thing I am a little obsessive, but I end up having equipment start each season and avoid repair bills and maintenance contracts.

Blog Entries
    No you don't have to wrestle with all snow blowers. My 8 Hp Simplicity has a trigger on the had grip that releases the drive to the left wheel so it no longer drives when you want to turn. My old Toro that died after 20 years, had levers on each side that you could pull up to release the wheel drive on that side for turning.

As far as engines go. The 8 Hp Tecumseh on my Simplicity has had no problems for the 6 years that I have owned it. I put in gas stabilizer in the spring and store it with a full tank of fuel. In the fall before I need it, I pull it outside, turn the gas lever on, pump the prime 3 times and it starts on the first pull. It has electric (120 V) start, but I have never used it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use Star Tron (switched to that from Stabil 2 years ago) and Sea Foam in every can of gas I buy for all my power equipment and knock on wood I don't have starting problems.

Today I moved my brand new snow blower from the shed to the garage, gassed it up, and practiced with it and was surprised at how difficult it is to control. I thought I was doing something wrong so I read the directions and nope. At least mine has little levers you can pull with your fingers to disengage one or both wheels for turning.

My Yardman has triggers on each side that you pull and it locks that wheel to turn like and track vehicle

My Yard King has a pin that you pull from the axle to disengage one wheel. Bit of a pain to get it locked back in. I usually just tough it out.

I probably have the same snowblower that Lee writes about. My Simplicity is about 11 years old and being lazy, I do use the electric start. I did have to replace the drive belt 3 years ago, but other than that it has behaved well. It is now officially the start of the winter season by my reckoning. This occurs when the snowblower and the barbeque grill exchange places in the garage. Spring officially occurs when the positions are again reversed.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mine (Ariens) has some sort of differential that automatically de-powers one wheel as you turn and it pretty much turns like a baby carriage. No pins or levers involved.

First point a major second to the star-tron gas additive, I have used it for ten years in my grady white with yamaha outboard and never had ethanol problems. About 3 years ago I replaced at 35 year old ariens when the drive gear shattered for the second time but there were no other problems same carb for the whole time. Replaced it with a Toro that has the two lever steering described above it moves easily in any direction and for three years starts within two pulls every time, its more trouble to hook up the cable for electric start than to pull it. Also add star tron to all my gas engines even the Z3 which spends most of its time in the garage. Strongly recommend you start using star tron for any engines that are not run on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I am a little obsessive, but I end up having equipment start each season and avoid repair bills and maintenance contracts.
    Larry,
    You sound like the kind of person I hope to be one day....

And now we know why cars have an open differential and only kick in the posi-traction or limited slip when the tires slip.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I bought a new Toro last year that I was told would easily maneuver in the snow. I took the guys word for it. He really said that I would not need to spend the extra money for the clutch mechanism on the next size up model. He was being genuinely concerned about selling me more machine than I needed. After 2 snowstorms I went back and upgraded to the bigger version with the clutch that allowed for turning while holding on with ONLY one hand. I new that by the end of the winter manhandling the "smaller" one was going to take allllll the fun out of snowblowing (as much fun as that can be). I actually do enjoy it - now that the machine works with me.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    That is one reason I don't use that type of blower, I prefer a lighter weight paddle type blower (22" Toro) that handles all of my needs, 90" last year.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks all. Maybe I will CL it and buy something better. But the size is good for my little driveway.