Thread: Help with table saw decision

Help with table saw decision

I bought a Ridgid R4512 a couple of years ago after reading some very positive
    reviews online and got it at Big Orange with their 20% off sale so I think it was
    about $500 give or take. I soon ran into the limitations of this type of saw when I
    tried to tune it up. Between that and a crappy fence I have been longing for a
    cabinet saw for a while now. I managed to find a 35 year-old Delta/Rockwell
    Unisaw for $450 recently but there are some issues. Another crummy fence and
    absolutely no safety features at all. On the plus side it’s a 3HP model that seems
    to run well. I found a source for a “Ripping (aka riving) knife” (****) that can be
    added on but that’s another $200. The fence that I would like is the Vega Pro 50
    and that would cost just shy of $400 to get it to Canada. That would put me in
    just over $1000. My question is, do you guys think I should keep the Unisaw or
    get something a little newer that might have a decent fence and some safety
    features? Cost is an issue here, unfortunately.

What safety features are you looking for?
    I like the Microjig splitter, which is about $40.
    Can't make sense to spend $1,500 on a new saw to avoid spending $400 on a fence; assuming the saw is okay.

I'm guessing he means safely features like a riving knife or flesh sensing technology.
    If you could sell the Uni for the same price as what you bought it for, would you buy new? What safety features do you want?

Primary safety feature would be a riving knife. Can't quite afford a sawstop (yet)

I kind of agree with Wade, I have the Microjig splitter and it does a very good job. I have 2 difference inserts one with the splitter and one without for when I am doing dados and like.

The fence is another thing all together, you can spend a lot on one and still not have what you want. In most cases you can get a fence that you like and if you do change saws you can move the fence and rails to the new saw.

Blog Entries
    If a new saw is in your future and you're in Canada there are some brands those of us 'below the line' are familiar with that can be had 'up north'. For the money you are talking about you could pick up a Grizzly G0490 or G1023, both of which have a solid following and a pretty good record for quality control. Trying to bring a piece of old iron up to current safety standards may be an exercise in futility. A better approach on used gear might be to make it as original as possible in the primary areas and then add an after market item. I too used the MJ Splitter for years and Dad is using that saw and the MJ's still. Over-arm or Shark-guard like products are also an option you could add to an older format machine. The after-market riving knives get mixed reviews.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler