Thread: Harbor Freight coupon WOW

Harbor Freight coupon WOW

Ok, Im just in shock right now.

I was looking on the big auction site and there is a Harbor Freight coupon for the black tool cart # 95695. Bids are up to $49 FOR A COUPON that you can get anywhere.
    I wonder if bidders think they are bidding on a tool box, not a coupon for a tool box?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

What did P.T. Barnum say?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

"Ebay", the last bastion of unadulterated capitalism.
    I just looked up HF coupons on th site. There is a bunch of ads for coupons at various prices.
    I don't understand why some one would pay, when you get them in the mail, and in a bunch of magazines?
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

People are really funny, I have watched them bid on things and pay way more than they could go to the store and buy it, it is just the auction thing I guess.

It is kind of like my father in law when he was alive, he would drive 20 miles to save 50 cents on an item.

I just replied to the add, asking if he would take 100$ instead.

Auctions often have strange effect on buyers. There is some sort of primal competitive instinct that kicks in. It stops being about getting a thing at a good price and becomes about winning. I've watched used Grizzly tools go for above list price (even before the buyers premium). I've watch a couple of idiots duel it out over the first of maybe 20 identical items and wind up paying 2 times or more what the buyers of the next few pay. The worst are the guys that bring a friend or girlfriend to impress.

On the other hand, you can get great deals at auctions if you do your homework and stay disciplined. I saw another nice powermatic 66 with a wide wing (52"?) and bessy fence go for cheap the other day (iirc, <500)

I've made lots of money on eBay over the years selling antique ham radio gear. All it takes is two determined idiots and the price will soar...

I don't think the people bidding have any intention of actually paying.

Winning bid $57.00
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Last few times i've been to HF, i asked if they could use a 20% off coupon from an HF e-mail on my phone. Both times the answer was "don't worry about it, we've got ads here you can use". So...that makes me wonder if we really need the coupon at all.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Last few times i've been to HF, i asked if they could use a 20% off coupon from an HF e-mail on my phone. Both times the answer was "don't worry about it, we've got ads here you can use". So...that makes me wonder if we really need the coupon at all.
    earl
    I wonder if the coupons are coded so they know which source or publication the coupon came from. Helps HF determine where to put their advertising $.