Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears Craftsman Tools

Cool Sears Craftsman Tools

I've have good things to say about Craftsman hand tools for mechanics. They are a good basic set of tools that bridge the gap between home junk and professional quality. Sears woodworking tools.....NO SO MUCH. What do you think?

Sears is not the same store it once was, when I was growing up it was the first place we went for almost everything, good quality and they stood behind their merchandise. Now we rarely go into the place and then the only thing that is still any good are major appliances and in our area they still have good service on those. Everything else is Walmart quality junk.

Wayne, I live fairly close to a full-size Sears store, so go there often for tools and parts. Yes the Craftsman hand tools are still good quality, and often a good price on sales. But their power tools are designed to meet the price point their handyman/homeowner customers want to pay, not be the best. My Sears however, carries most of the major brands -DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. too. Sometimes at good sale prices too.

Blog Entries
    I imagine anyone over the age of 50 knows that the Craftsman paradigm has shifted. They fell asleep at the World Wide Web Wheel and went from being one of the premier logistics retailers to near obscurity. As in the past, many of their tools are made for them by other manufacturers. We just have so much poor product available to us today that, Sears or not, we must pick and choose carefully. I have "brands" of tools in my shop that are the best examples in their price range while other products from the same label wouldn't get a second glance from me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I believe it still pretty much the same as back in the 60s & 70s.....Solid hand tools but if it has a plug on it, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    As in the past, many of their tools are made for them by other manufacturers. ..... I have "brands" of tools in my shop that are the best examples in their price range while other products from the same label wouldn't get a second glance from me.
    In the mid-70's I worked for a while with an office furniture manufacturing company. We supplied products to Sears. We arguably had the best quality control program in the industry. Every drawer, every lock, every weld, every paint job was inspected. Then they were spot checked again by the section foreman. Then the batch was spot inspected again by the shift supervisor, then the packaged product was spot checked again in the warehouse, then spot checked again when delivered to the consumer. They were well built and high quality.

Once a week, usually on a Wednesday or Thursday, we re-tooled for our Sears run. Additional rollers were put on all the drawer slides. Additional welds were added to the drawers, frame, and cross braces, and we used a heavier "gauge" cardboard base in the boxing-out. Each piece was still inspected, but our foreman and supervisor probably double checked a few more than on a normal run.

I had been a Sears fan growing up (my first baseball glove and fishing rod were Ted Williams autograph models) but after seeing how they requested a good product become even better, I became a Sears fanatic. Our entire house was an advertisement for Sears, Craftsman, and Kenmore. I still use my 1976 Craftsman circular saw, my first power tool. I still have my 1/2" drill (too heavy, so it doesn't see much use) and my sockets and wrenches. Our Kenmore washer and dryer got us through 4 kids worth of diapers; baseball, basketball, football, and soccer uniforms before quitting after 20+ years.

So sad to see the name no longer commands the respect from earlier times.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Has Sears ever manufactured anything themselves? I thought they always have had third parties make their goods?

I have a Craftsman drill that belongs to a friend of mine. It is from the 60s or 70s and is the strongest portable drill I have ever used. I wanted to buy it from him, but he said I could hold on to it and he would know where it is if he needs it. I live in Minnesota and he lives in Florida now, but his son lives here.

Starting in the mid-70's, I acquired a full shop full of Sear's Craftsman stationary tools. They were well built and never broke down even under a lot of use in the home woodworker environment. 20 years later I started upgrading my stationary tools to professional level tools with my first purchase being a Unisaw. When I made the first cut on the Unisaw, I realized the difference between Craftsman and professional level tools was not necessarily the quality of the tool but more in the intended purpose of the tool. Back in the day Craftsman tools were fine for the home woodworker and may still be today but they weren't designed for the rigors of heavy, full-time or semi full-time use. A Unisaw today is probably still overkill for the home woodworker.

When I was a kid in the 1980s, we considered their tools to be fairly expensive (parents were homeowners, not pros), and everyone that I knew that had any substantial amount of DIY tools either had a bunch of black and decker stuff or craftsman. Even back then, I remember people saying stuff like "nothing else fits it" (referring to the inability to use anything at all with craftsman tools). My dad still uses a bunch of craftsman tools, but he gets the max amount of dollars out of his work by making stuff for my mother to paint, stuff out of softwood - something that won't challenge the garden variety $300 bandsaw or $100 belt sander or 6x9 belt sander (whatever those cost now). When he wears them out, he gets another one.

It was common back then for people to make kitschy yard art and try to sell it, or get out a square and a circular saw and some screws and make a few benches for the patio with "nice" whitewood lumber from the lumber yard (not home depot).

You got (if you were my dad) the tools from craftsman and you had to buy their low quality bandsaw blades, etc, because there was no other source. The internet and the ability to "mail order" without having to actually send in something mail order has really changed things. Back then, the low cost alternative to sears was tractor supply type places (before those were uniform, too) who must've bought very crude chinese-made tools, they were ugly and had no branding on them.

I don't remember any local stationary tool dealers back then, though you could get pro quality tools through the lumber yard, and our local yard carried makita portable tools. FIL built a house in the late 1970s and bought a small dewalt RAS for $500 back then, a princely sum.

I'm so glad we don't have to buy our large tools from sears or choose another option that costs the moon (because I don't want either of those options). It's a shame sears couldn't change their business model with any fluidity, they've hung on too long trying to sell their own brand of tools at a time when internet buying is easy and many of the professional makes have come down in price. From time to time, someone dies around here or gives up on woodworking, and you see the same "craftsman shop", that horrible fixed table jointer, a 10" or 12" band saw, an old table saw with the open air style wings, a 1/2 horsepower shaper, a small craftsman drill press and a few hand drills or such things.

(a lot of those tools were US made, though, and I'm sure they had a lot of room built into their price so sears could make money. I guess there really wasn't much else anyone could buy at the time, as there certainly wasn't OWWM and other places to get people educated about refurbishing low-priced vintage tools).

My dad still has a bunch of black and decker stuff that was US made and still works well. I don't have anything craftsman except a 3 amp electric drill that is falling apart, but I consider it more handy than most people seem to, because it's fairly small, it has no battery and despite being 3 amps, it has more power than any cordless drill I've used south of $200.

Blog Entries
    As with so many products the consumer mass started preferring price over quality. Sears had little choice but to go along or be left by the side.

Some areas of their market were still paying up for quality as in mechanic's hand tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I was young, crafstman tools were solid and I've got some old ones, that are great. Today, they don't call em crapsman for nothing. I happened to be in a sears last year at Christmas, and the wrench pack I picked up said made in china.

I've got a 30-30 winchester that has ted williams name on it. Catalog order!

Just in the last week or two I have purchased a lot of Craftsman tools. They have their Black Friday type stuff priced now for sale.

I do not shop Sears for tool as much as before. Only because they closed the local Sears Hardware store. That place was so handy to stop in a pick up a few things. The mall store is only 5 or 6 miles away but not as handy.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    When I was young, crafstman tools were solid and I've got some old ones, that are great. Today, they don't call em crapsman for nothing. I happened to be in a sears last year at Christmas, and the wrench pack I picked up said made in china.
    I was looking at wrench sets at Sears the other day. Their low priced sets are made in China but they also still sell USA made sets for more $$$$$.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-17-2014 at 7:31 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I bought a couple socket sets at Sears years ago. The ratchets are junk. They exchanged them when I returned them, but the replacements are junk. I get pretty good ratchets from Harbor freight now, got a extendable 1/2" a while back that is pretty good, along with a very long breakover bar. Back in the early 70's I bought a belt sander that was very good, and later bought one that looked just like it that was junk. I wore the plate off the first one, and used the second one's plate on the first one.