Thread: Radial Arm Saw Blade

Radial Arm Saw Blade

Is there a source these days for an inexpensive RAS saw blade to use on construction sites? I know you can get really good ones from Forrest and Ridge Carbide for +/- $100, but I wondered about something less expensive for a 10" RAS. It really should have a 0º or negative hook angle.

CPeter

Though I knew better, I never put a neg. rake blade on my RAS the whole time I had it. Used the Freud thin kerf rip and crosscut blades with good success.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Freud LU91 series are -5º rake.
    I'm going to get one for my own saw, as I don't like the way the saw pushes toward me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Try the Cripe distributing ebay store. You will need to sort through various saw blades, but there are usually some gems mixed in for a very good price.

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    Is there a source these days for an inexpensive RAS saw blade to use on construction sites? I know you can get really good ones from Forrest and Ridge Carbide for +/- $100, but I wondered about something less expensive for a 10" RAS. It really should have a 0º or negative hook angle

Try this one

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU83R010.../dp/B00020JOAA
    1/2 the price of a WWI and highly recommended by the people at Delphi Dewalt RAS forum.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    ....as I don't like the way the saw pushes toward me.
    Not sure which blade you have now, but obviously you must have a + hook blade as you are looking to buy a - hook one. It may help. But doesn't have to be completely neg. The #1 blade recommended by the Delphi group is a special order Forrest WW1 with TCP tooth profile. I believe it is a +5* hook. Stay away from those really aggressive blades. A sharp blade also helps control the climb feeling.

Something else to check, though, is your arm ways and the roller bearing pressure. Adjust the roller bearings such that it takes about 5-6 lbs. of force to move the saw. Lift about 3 qts of water. It should feel like that when you pull the saw. If you adjust the bearings to that feel, you will need to make sure the ways on the arm are kept clean, else you'll get a jerky feel when you pull the saw. Keep a rag next to the saw and wipe the ways before each session. Takes all of 10 seconds. Once every couple of weeks, use a rag with a shot of WD-40 to clean the ways.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I have the LU83*** on my RAS. It pulls toward me too much for my liking. That's why I'll be getting the LU91.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night