Thread: CnC Wanna be

CnC Wanna be

Hi, I am new to the forums.
    I am considering buying a CnC wood machine. I would like to ask a few questions I am sure have been asked. Sorry if I am being redundant.
    I would like to be between 2000$-5000$ but am not limited to.
    I am a wood turner/ wood worker. I have some computer skills but am limited.
    I am not sure if I want a table top or free standing. I am leaning toward table top.
    I will mostly be doing hobby work to start. I make a lot of items for charity auctions.
    My questions are,
    1. Whats the best bang for my buck.
    2. What is out there that can grow with my skills.
    3. what would you folks recommend if you were starting out knowing what you know now?

Thank you for your assistance.
    Tim
    Last edited by Tim Vowels; 11-17-2014 at 3:03 PM.

For the amount of money you are wanting to spend, I suggest you take a look at a company called CNC Router Parts. They sell kits that have high quality components and they have a good reputation for customer support. If you are mechanically inclined, I think you will have a better machine than you could buy off the shelf for the same money. Here is a link.

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/index.php

I didn't buy the CNC Router Parts machine because I wanted to start work immediately with a semi professional machine and I had the funds. The machine I bought is a Camaster Stinger I. My opinion is that this company builds some of the best machines for the money that you can buy. They are all industrial strength. Beyond that, their customer service is great. They maintain a very active forum dedicated to customer support and it is not unusual to see the manufacturing manager personally answer technical questions. He shows up here from time to time as well. If you really get into trouble, you can call the office and talk to a real expert who designs or builds the machines. Probably the least expensive model you can buy will run you $7000+ by the time you pay for shipping and get all the tools and accessories you will need. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.camaster.com/

I have only one regret buying a Camaster. I bought a Stinger I with a 24 by 36 inch work surface and I wish now I had bought the Stinger II with a 36 by 48 or 48 inch square work surface.

I came across this machine:

http://www.gryphoncnc.com

Evidently they are fairly new to the market. If they had been available a few years ago when I built my machine I would have given them a go.

Some things to look for when purchasing a machine:

How much of it is made of plastic?
    Can a regular hand held router be mounted?
    Can the machine size be expanded at a reasonable cost?

From what I have seen of the Gryphon it expands easily, it is not constructed with flimsy materials like MDF or HDPE.

One thing you do need to consider is how much software will cost. If you like fooling around trying to make things work there are several cheap/free programs available. If not, I can highly recommend Vectric products. You can get started at a reasonable price then move up with fair pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Vowels View Post
    My questions are,

2. What is out there that can grow with my skills.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Tim
    This is an interesting question. When it comes to 3 axis cnc machining it is not that the machine needs to grow with your skills but rather the software you are using.

For instance, to do 3d relief style carving requires software capable of doing it, like a Vectric or ArtCam product. A basic machining package will not allow you to machine complex models no matter what your skill level or brand of machine.

So, your skills really grow primarily in two areas: 1) Understanding machining, speeds, feed. 2) Knowledge of software and how to use it.