Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reminder - This is a "hand tool" forum

Reminder - This is a "hand tool" forum

Notice to all - Please ensure that all threads and postings in this forum remain true to the purpose of this forum, ie: no power tool discussion whatsoever will be tolerated.

I have been reminded of this in the past and frequently still disregard this significant point, thereby causing great annoyance to the experienced Neanderthal's. For this I sincerely apologize and promise in the future to refrain from this as I best can do. Perhaps this can be the club pledge "to make no mention of power tools".

Moderators - please make this a sticky

Thank you

Making this sticky seems superfluous to me. The forum name seems to cover your point well enough:

Neanderthal Haven - hand tool forum
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    So what you're saying is I can no longer discuss my sharpening technique using my Tormek or WorkSharp to sharpen my hand tools, or recommend someone use a drill press to widen the hole in a blade that won't fit, or ask where I can get the sole of a plane machined, etc., etc.? Come on guys- if that's what this section is moving towards, then I'm out. I don't have the patience to tiptoe around trying not to mention a power tool. Please let me know if this is the case so I can save my anual contribution for a more worthwile cause.

Blog Entries
    My belt sander has handles, therefore it is a hand tool!

Ducking under my desk.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think Pat is miffed about replies to his comments on other threads and was trying to make a point.

I don't think anyone here wants draconian enforcement of a hand tools only policy. Certainly I do not.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

It might be a good idea to have a separate "sharpening" forum. Power tool users may never venture to the hand tool forum, and it would simplify it for someone new to be able to read all in one place about sharpening. It is THE most important aspect about using hand tools, but even power tool users need a sharp chisel, or block plane iron once in a while.

I don't believe anyone would be able to ban sharpening from the handtool forum! It's too much ingrained in our blood.

Seriously??? This is an issue from some people for real? Lame...

I'm lodging a formal protest with the secretary general.

Blog Entries
    There is also a two drink minimum.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I wish I was 100% neander, and I'm making progress, but just not there yet. My mortise and tenons and planing skills are workable, dovetails are slowly coming along, but other than sawing dovetails or tenons, I'm just not [yet] set up with the right hand saws or a saw bench and can't yet ditch using a [tool whose name I shall not mention] for sizing larger pieces of lumber. Alas, I even confess to sometimes using electric lighting in my garage workshop.

Blog Entries
    I used to worry about it, but I use the tool that makes the best quality cut. If I'm ripping wood, or shaping the curve in a back splat, it likely will be done on a power tool.

If I'm shaping a chair arm, or making a M&T joint that is visible, or dovetails, it will be with hand tools.

I enjoy being able to cut a straight line with a hand saw or carve a chair seat using shaves and card scrapers.

I only use organic hand tools and have nothing but contempt for those using (and especially discussing) anything to do with p***r tools or e*********y in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
    I'm just not [yet] set up with the right hand saws or a saw bench and can't yet ditch using a [tool whose name I shall not mention] for sizing larger pieces of lumber. Alas, I even confess to sometimes using electric lighting in my garage workshop.
    Repent now or burn for all eternity, sinner!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    There is also a two drink minimum.
    My shop has a maximum on how many drinks before the door gets locked.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)