Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reminder - This is a "hand tool" forum

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    As for moderation, I'm definitely in favor of more rough and tumble. While I know it makes some uncomfortable, I think it's usually more interesting and honest. We all don't have to agree about everything, and disagreement should not be taken as disrespect.
    Me too. A diet of only smiley faces and attaboys makes Johnny a dull boy.

The one thing I dislike is when folks safely behind their computer screens say crap they would never say to you in person, lest they get a punch in the nose. So that would be my one rule if I was moderator for a day: if you wouldn't say it to a 6' 10" 300 lb guy standing in front of you, maybe think twice about saying it on the board.
    That's a great rule. Remembering would probably keep me from making posts that I later regret.

Ya want to go to California, you can drive, take a train, bus, or fly.....but you can still get to where you want to be. My hand tool skills are almost non existent, sharpening skills below average and I do have some power tools that I use. I'd rather work by hand....hate the noise, but age and lack of some skills, does sometimes force me to expend some electrons....there I said it! So get out the tar and feathers. Two drink minimum after shop lights are off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Notice to all - Please ensure that all threads and postings in this forum remain true to the purpose of this forum, ie: no power tool discussion whatsoever will be tolerated.

I have been reminded of this in the past and frequently still disregard this significant point, thereby causing great annoyance to the experienced Neanderthal's. For this I sincerely apologize and promise in the future to refrain from this as I best can do. Perhaps this can be the club pledge "to make no mention of power tools".

Moderators - please make this a sticky

Thank you
    Too late, you already said it twice .

P.s. . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . POWER TOOLS!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Ducking under my desk. jtk
    You're using it wrong.
    It belongs on a race track.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-18-2014 at 11:09 AM.

"...if you wouldn't say it to a 6' 10" 300 lb guy standing in front of you..."

That really depends on how fast you can skate, dunnit?

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/player/zdeno-chara/66662

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Please let me know if this is the case so I can save my anual contribution for a more worthwile cause.
    Do you still have my address?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Sharpening by whatever method is still considered a hand tools skill even if not always done sans electricity. While suggestions on using a power tool to complete part of a primarily hand tool project are not absolutely banned, we would like folks to use some discretion and keep it to a minimum. I tend to give folks as much leeway as possible but ask that you don't push it.

Your mostly friendly moderator.
    Dave
    You're the SCOTUS, right?
    Sawmill Creek Operatior Told Unze So....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I have certainly done my share of hand tool work,being in an 18th. C. setting. But now I'm old and have COPD,so I don't mind using a machine to do the grunt work. But,guitars and especially violins tend to lend themselves to hand work.
    George Wilson uses power tools? I feel like a kid who just found out Santa doesn't exist. hahaha. It's okay, I am not getting any younger either, and although I don't have COPD, I do have CRS (Can't Remember S---). I take damnitol to keep me going.

I think George should finally post a shop tour, including his machine shop!

Isnt "overmoderation" an oxymoron?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Sharpening by whatever method is still considered a hand tools skill even if not always done sans electricity. While suggestions on using a power tool to complete part of a primarily hand tool project are not absolutely banned, we would like folks to use some discretion and keep it to a minimum. I tend to give folks as much leeway as possible but ask that you don't push it.

Your mostly friendly moderator.
    Dave
    Sounds reasonable. I use routers to put decorative edges on as I do not own molding planes, and a table saw to rip long lengths as i do not have the energy I once did. But I find this forum tremendously helpful. When I get home from work many days the last thing I want to hear is a screaming power tool.

Blog Entries
    I think the moderators are due a big thank you! I don't know that the point is whether or not every post that gets moderator attention actually deserved it based on some imaginary line. It can't be easy in ones spare time to figure out what needs moderation and compose the exact "correct" response. Communication, all communication, is imperfect. I think we are very lucky to have knowledgable people with our best interests at heart attempting to keep "our little world" in tact and viable.

So, thanks moderators for helping keep our forum on track and safe, despite all of the tough decisions that work must entail. Also thanks to all the posters who care enough to post and think about what is best for our forum. I imagine the moderators like a little feed back from time to time on what the posters here like and don't like, else this thread would have been squelched by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Notice to all - Please ensure that all threads and postings in this forum remain true to the purpose of this forum, ie: no power tool discussion whatsoever will be tolerated.

I have been reminded of this in the past and frequently still disregard this significant point, thereby causing great annoyance to the experienced Neanderthal's. For this I sincerely apologize and promise in the future to refrain from this as I best can do. Perhaps this can be the club pledge "to make no mention of power tools".

Moderators - please make this a sticky

Thank you
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm pretty sure that Pat was joking when he made the statement concerning "no power tools" in this Forum because statements that identify or clarify Forum policies are my responsibility and I expect everyone knows this. Anyone who has serious concerns about the rules, moderation policies or any policy that we enforce should send me a Private Message so we can discuss your concerns offline.

We have known for a long time that Dave Anderson has needed help Moderating this Forum so we recently added another Moderator to help out. Until Prashun is up to speed and more comfortable with his new position here I will be assisting Dave to help him keep the peace here, and at the same time assure we maintain a friendly atmosphere and more importantly assure that we comply with the legal requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    ..........Until Prashun is up to speed and more comfortable with his new position ...... help him keep the peace here..............
    Support Your Local Sheriff

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Admittedly, I don't post much but lurk quite often, and this is probably the most courteous, helpful, well behaved bunch of folks I've ever observed in an online forum, for what it's worth. I normally don't post because once I've used the search function, there are half a dozen on-point threads with the answer I was seeking.