Thread: Sprayed the table today...

Sprayed the table today...

...and today was the first time I've seen a bee in the shop in a long time. They wait until I'm spraying to come in and flit around the lghts knocking dust off.

So after getting a few good coats of lacquer on the top, I thought it might be wise to wait 'til tomorrow to take out the bee boo-boos and give it one final shot. So I load the sprayer up with thinner....and it won't spray. So I fiddle with the 'normal' things that cause material flow problems...and it won't spray. Soooo...., still 'miffed' about the bees, and now having to take the sprayer apart, I proceed to lose the little brass thingy from the check valve. Before losing that, I set the teensy little spring aside, knowing I'd never find it again if it got dropped. After crawling around on the floor for maybe 10 minutes, I gave up looking for the brass thingy on the OSB floor. Even tho the floor is clean (imagine that!!), brass and OSB blend right together. OF COURSE, as soon as I stood up I saw it right there on the table where it was supposed to be ...but the teensy spring that might as well be invisible was gone. And after crawling around on the floor for another ten minutes, it's still lost.

This is the cheapie HF spray rig, and one I considered a 'throw away' when I bought it. Never expected it to work well, but it's done an acceptable job...especially considering the money I paid for it. I hope the new one I pick up in the morning serves as well.

Tomorrow will be a better day...

KC, I feel your pain - about the bug that is. Seems like the always appear right when you don't need them. Argh...

What kind of lacquer are you shooting. Just curious. I haven't been able to find my standard Magnalac since coming out to CA so just wondering what you're using.

Have fun tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    ...and today was the first time I've seen a bee in the shop in a long time. They wait until I'm spraying to come in and flit around the lghts knocking dust off.

After crawling around on the floor for maybe 10 minutes, I gave up looking for the brass thingy on the OSB floor. Even tho the floor is clean (imagine that!!), brass and OSB blend right together. OF COURSE, as soon as I stood up I saw it right there on the table where it was supposed to be ...but the teensy spring that might as well be invisible was gone. And after crawling around on the floor for another ten minutes, it's still lost.
    Tomorrow will be a better day...
    Hey KC, if you want to find that spring, make it fairly dark in the shop, and take a strong flashlight with you when you get down on your knees and lay it on the floor keeping the light beam parallel to the floor, and VERY slowly sweep the beam around the floor, and ANYTHING half as large as a pin head will make a shadow and show up, (and amazingly lots of dust and dirt particles too on what one would think was a perfectly clean floor, ) .

I find small things all the time in the house and the shop this way. I learned this trick accidentally years ago looking for one of my wifes Contact lenses, Which she seemed to drop REGULARLY, and it has probably been the most useful trick I have ever learned. I've found diamonds that have come out of rings, ear rings & bracelets, tiny screws out of watches and electronics, etc. Give it a try, and I'll bet you'll have Two HF spray guns to lose parts from then.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Jason...I shoot the Sherwood Pre-cat (part #T77 F37). Not all the Sherwin Williiams stock it, and the ones that do may not have both the gallon and 5 gallon sizes.

Thanks for the flashlight tip. Problem is that it's a spring. There's simply no telling where it ended up. But you're right...I'll find it 5 minutes after I get the new one home.

I decided to delay pics until I get it moved into the house.

KC

I'm calling the picture police!!!!
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    ... Before losing that, I set the teensy little spring aside, knowing I'd never find it again if it got dropped. ...but the teensy spring that might as well be invisible was gone. And after crawling around on the floor for another ten minutes, it's still lost.Tomorrow will be a better day...
    Kirk / FWIW. . . try sweeping the floor and area with a strong magnet. It might just pick it up. Plus it should not take a lot of time.

Corvin