Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone used the "Craftsman Radial and Bench Saw Molding Head"

anyone used the "Craftsman Radial and Bench Saw Molding Head"

I've been cleaned up and uncovered the molding head and cutters that I inherited from my father 30+ years ago. I don't recall him using them but they've clearly been used.

I didn't learn much on the Internet other than they aren't worth much. The look like an incredibly easy was to get badly hurt. I thought before they go into the trash, I'd see if anyone has any experience using them.

Thanks,

Mitchell

Using a radial arm saw for anything but crosscutting rough lumber scares me. Those moulding cutters look like an accident waiting to happen.

Got 11 stitches from using one kick back from my table saw.

Blog Entries
    I've had a set for over 20 years. Someone gave it to me. I've never had the courage to put it on the saw.

I have my dad's old radial arm saw. I don't use it much anymore, but I never suffered any injuries from it.

It is set on and in a roll around table with three drawers in it. I have 1x12 boards attached to the sides of the table with butt hinges.
    When the saw is in use, the two "wings" are brought up to table level with knee braces. This gives me an 11' long table to rip on.

I have a radial arm blade on the saw, so kick-back doesn't happen.

I can't imagine needing custom molding badly enough to play around with those things. Crosscutting with a proper blade is about my personal safety limit with those saws. I'd put it on Craigslist and see what happens. "Moldy cutter for radio alarm saw".

I have a super old one that I have used on occasion. I never found it do be a problem but mostly only used it for bead board. I'd never opt to hand feed anything other than a very shallow profile with one but with good fixturing/featherboards it wouldnt be a problem. Do they even still sell knives for those things?

Molding heads are a useful tool on a table saw provided you keep it simple and don't get too aggressive on the cut.

I have one that belonged to a friends dad. I would never believe it if I didn't own it but it takes a single cutter. here is a link to one on Ebay.

Search item# 121485558868
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-18-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS

When I was doing trim work on my house I bought one of those things for my Craftsman radial arm saw. It was a safety inspector's nightmare! After a few scares, I threw the thing away and gave the RAS to my brother.

I bought that set at the same time that I bought the RAS in 73 or 74. I must have had some sense back then, because the molding head set is still new in the box.

I have one, and have used it with great success over the years on my RAS. First, like most any other tool, it is not “plug and play”, you need to do some detail work on it, specificlly stone the flat faces to remove milling marks as you would a fine hand plane iron. Second, take progressive cuts, until you get the desired profile, just as with most router bits. It excels as a surface planer with the flat knives that are with the basic kit, assuming your machine is properly setup and now uses a beefier table system. I had a shop grind a flute profile for me on an extra set of knives, made pilaster work easy with almost no secondary cleanup needed because it was a rip operation going with the grain- never any chatter marks as can happen with a router making such a detail. If you know what to do with it, it does have advantages over other methods, and yes, they can be had for cheap. The knife set to look for was made by Sears back in the '70's, it had panel raising profiles and did a superb job fielding bevel, ogee, beading, etc. Also useful was a cope and stick set for making the frames, all operations needed some form of work support, but since the design goes way back to before the popularity of routers in the home shop, they did fill a need and did it well. Mr. Sawdust showed how to use the type on a RAS to make a Swans Neck molding for a tall case clock, nearly impossible to do with any other saw tool method.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

12. I had the three cutter version up till I moved to Texas in 1998. Wish I never sold. I never understood why people were so afraid of them?

I have three of them. Two of them are the single cutter version. The single cutter model makes it very easy to grind custom profiles. Corob cutter sells the knives and heads now. Great tool and can't understand why people are so afraid of them. Before you throw it away send to me. I'll pay the shipping.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 11-17-2014 at 6:30 PM.

I have the single cutter head and 3 cutter head. They work great. Never had a problem with them. I've only used them in a table saw not a radial arm for short runs. The single cutter head is great if you have to grind to match a profile. You don't have to grind 3 matching knives. It's handy because you can tilt the head in the saw if you need to. Amazingly smooth cuts even on knotty pine if you take progressive cuts.

Edit: Good to know I'm not alone. I've respected Rick's opinion in his many posts here. I was typing at the same time as Rick and we thought along the same lines.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 11-17-2014 at 6:22 PM. Reason: Rick's post
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Got one, but don't use it much.... the thing makes a nerve racking hum. But is has come in handy occasionally.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last