Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veneer glue

I wonder why Joe didn't tell me that. In any case, I'll never use the stuff again. What little benefit there is in cost and convenience is lost by keeping two glues in the shop and isn't worth the risk of another failure. QS wasn't an option for the table top; it had to be rift sawn to give the right look to the finished piece. With Plastic Resin Glue, or Unibond 800, there's no doubt in my mind that I will get a good bond today, tomorrow, and 10 years from now. I'm not willing to take the risk again with such a critical aspect of a project. The only good thing to come out of that experience was that my customer thought I was a pretty upstanding guy for replacing the top w/o question. Since then I've built two further projects for her, and two are in the planning stages.

John

There is a trick I learned from Paul Schurch when I took a class from him at David Marks' shop last March. He purposely glued up a veneer panel with a few spots missing glue.

He likes to flood his panels with water so that they show up any bubbles or adhesion problems. I have to say, it works really well to find them.

His trick to fix this is to use polyurethane glue or the original Gorilla Glue. All you do is flood the bubble (you don't even need to pierce the bubble...no slices...no forcing glue inside) with the poly glue and add some wax paper and caul and clamp. The glue will soak through and clamp the bubble down. It actually works and it doesn't interfere with your finish either.

I recently had to employ this trick on a large scale panel (1' x 3') but I had wrinkles EVERYWHERE! Ugh. I about cried until I remembered his trick. So I rolled on GG over the entire panel and with a plastic covered clamping caul, tossed the whole mess back into the vacuum press. What came out was horrifying to say the least. The glue had dried to a thick pasty looking mostly opaque topping. I wish I had taken a pic. Anyway, I went at it with a scraper and ROS and low and behold, the panel came out perfectly flat and ready to go. I had rescued my panel!! I then slopped a gel stain on it and it took it just like the other panels that didn't need this rescue. Way Cool!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    I like Unibond 800
    +1

A visit to Jamie Robertson confirms his affinity for the stuff.

He's a master of veneers, and it's what works on large or small scales.
    They warned me that the stuff dries so hard that squeeze out can cut like a knife.

He also warned not to buy too much at time as it has a point of no return on shelf life.

Jamie Robertson sunrise sunset.jpg

thanks for all the input.

That Unibond is good but it is expensive and doesn't have a very long shelf life (keep it in the refrigerator I'm told to extend its life). It also has formaldehyde in it so it may not be the best to breath in...little bit nasty for you. David Marks tosses a respirator on when he mixes the stuff but he swears by it as well.

Chris mentioned polyurethane for repairs, I've found it works well for veneer work in general under the right conditions. For thick veneers to which you can apply even clamping pressure its very effective. Apparently it is considered a rigid glue line, but it also has the most elasticity of the major glue types. It can be subjected to great stress and retain its holding power, or it tends to give a little, though not easily, without breaking. I've used it for door skins on stave core, for engineered flooring, for lumber core composite shelves. Maybe not the go to for decorative inlay work with small parts, or large sheet work as its challenging to spread over a grew area within its open time. But it is an option, and completely water resistant to boot for projects where that is important.

I've used a lot of tite bond III for veneer work, its more tenacious than it gets credit for in this regard, and just about the easiest thing to use too. Decent open time, easy clean up, highly spreadable, semi rigid glue line, wide temperature range. Lots to like.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Anyone here use hot hide glue? I am keen to try it for veneering.
    I really like it for anything small. It's fast and there's no need to mess with clamping systems. A lot of the veneer stuff I've done has been repair of antiques, and for that hot hide glue is perfect. For bigger stuff I've used heat activated yellow glue (eg original titebond)-- apply a coat to both surfaces, let it mostly dry, then bond the veneer to the substrate using a fairly hot iron. Like hammer veneering, but without the mad dash to get it done before the glue sets up. It's relatively easy and again doesn't require an elaborate clamping set up or vacuum bag.

I never had any issues vacuum veneering with white or yellow glues, or plastic resin glue for longer open time projects such as bent laminations. I used commercial veneers, but this was when they came in at least 1/28" thickness, or even 1/16" construction veneers for laminations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    +1

They warned me that the stuff dries so hard that squeeze out can cut like a knife.

He also warned not to buy too much at time as it has a point of no return on shelf life.
    +1 on both of these. When I am doing veneer work it takes me a few bloody "reminders" to remember to put my gloves on when cleaning up panels.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I never had any issues vacuum veneering with white or yellow glues, or plastic resin glue for longer open time projects such as bent laminations. I used commercial veneers, but this was when they came in at least 1/28" thickness, or even 1/16" construction veneers for laminations.
    Same here, I use Titebond with vacuum bag and mostly tropical hardwood shop-sawn where there is no risk of bleed-thru. The reason is that I can pull the laminates out of the press within an hour. Haven't had a failure yet in 7 years of veneering box sides.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Adam Augustine View Post
    I was wondering what kind of glue people use for veneering. Recently I have tried Titebond Cold Press Glue for veneer. I have have decent results with this product. Any thoughts?
    I use Titebond Cold Press veneer glue for all of my veneering since 2008. No creep and a panel can be taken out of the vacuum bag in as little as 45 minutes.

I also use it for any bent lamination's that I do and it has very very minimal to no spring back.

Chris, You mean that you just put glue over top of the veneer where it bubbles? Interesting. I may have to try that on some scrap. Thanks for the information.

Old thread.

I have veneered shop sawn veneer with Titebond Original for several years and never had an issue. Even with pieces sitting in a window with afternoon sun for several years.

I am doing a King bed headboard now however and needed something with long open time, purchased Better Bond cold press veneer. Then found out Joe Woodworker posted on his website not to use this for shop sawn veneer and this is confirmed in this thread.

I have some PPR glue from Joe on the way, but thought to mention that he believes PVA glue for veneer is a Rookie mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Martel View Post
    Chris, You mean that you just put glue over top of the veneer where it bubbles? Interesting. I may have to try that on some scrap. Thanks for the information.
    Not sure if you're still around, Jeffrey, but I put polyurethane/Gorilla Glue over the top of the veneer to take care of bubbles. I'm not sure if any old glue would work...have only tried the poly.

As to whether or not to use PVA for veneers, I guess we all have our experiences and we all stick with what we've experienced.

Willem,

I did an experiment once where I simply put down blobs of glue on a piece of wax paper. None of the PVAs dried very hard whereas the plastic resin and BB did dry to basically a rock. That was enough evidence for me. YMMV.

I have had terrible results with Titebond Cold Press glue. Around here, we have to use water based finish. I found that with cold press glue, the panel will come out of press looking fine and may even look fine when water is first put on it. But when I then apply a water based finish, it appears that the water gets through the veneer and the cold press glue comes loose.

I've tried cold press glue on several panels. The first one, I thought I had done something wrong, maybe not putting enough glue down, or finishing too soon. So on the second, I made sure I did everything right, even putting glue on the back of the veneer. It definitely was not glue starved. I waited over 24 hours before doing anything on the panel, even taking off the veneer tape. And I still got bubbles. And yes, the substrate was properly prepared and the veneer was ordinary veneer. In fact, the panel was made up of several different kinds of veneer and the bubbles did not seem to favor any particular veneer.

I threw the rest of the Cold Press glue away. I'll never use that stuff again.

I have had good results with UF glues (several different brands, both liquid and powder), with white glue, yellow glue, and even epoxy when I didn't want to put any water into the veneer (because the veneer expanded too much when water hit it). I've done a lot of veneer work and am fairly familiar with most of the problems you can run into.

Later, after the problems I had, I was talking with a couple of other woodworkers, telling them of my problems, and they commented that they had the same problem. Each was happy to hear the other's problems because each thought they had done something wrong.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.