Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were starting from scratch...

If you were starting from scratch...

Hopefully this is the right spot for this! So I'm getting ready to step further into woodworking, and I'm a bit curious here.

If you were starting from scratch...going to build a building and everything...

How big would you build?
    What tools would you include?
    How would you orient your tools? As in table saw in X location, lathe here, etc.

Assume you want a fully functional shop capable of producing nice quality furniture. I'm curious to hear what tools you'd like to have, not the brands.

Cheers!

Build it twice as big as you think you need and install a DE system before anything else.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

For the building:
    * Plan for many more electrical outlets and separate circuits than whatever you think you currently need - double gang outlets with separate circuits on each duplex receptacle. Think about overhead outlets that will allow you to position your tools anywhere you want (or, if your plans allow, a raised floor with outlets in the floor).
    * Plan for 20 amp 120VAC circuits and 30 amp 240VAC circuits. Or at least go bigger than code says you have to on the wiring, you can upgrade the breakers and outlets later if necessary.
    * Plan for complete climate control - insulation, heating, a/c - even if you won't install those initially.
    * Plan for a full dust collection system, preferably with the cyclone outside the building or at least in a separate space if you can.

Tool layout is tough - it's hard to really visualize whether one layout or another is better until you have all the tools, workbenches, cabinets, shelves, etc. all in place.

As for tools, I'd think a good-quality table saw with large rip capacity and a huge outfeed table, 8" (or 12" if you can afford it) jointer, 15" (or 20" if you can afford it) planer, router table, drill press, disc / belt / drum sander of some sort and, if you think you really need it, a nice lathe with plenty of capacity. There are a zillion smaller tools you'll eventually need as well...

install a DE system before anything else.
    What is a "DE system" ?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 11-18-2014 at 9:57 AM.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Dust Elimination?

I would have a separate finishing room in my fantasy shop and a nice big sliding table saw. Vaulted ceilings with a loft for wood storage. An overhead crane on a rail would be cool for lifting large things.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

+ for

• XY overhead gantry crane
    • finishing room
    • high ceilings
    • well planned lighting
    • layout and drawer-storage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Grubbs View Post
    Hopefully this is the right spot for this! So I'm getting ready to step further into woodworking, and I'm a bit curious here.

If you were starting from scratch...going to build a building and everything...

How big would you build?
    What tools would you include?
    How would you orient your tools? As in table saw in X location, lathe here, etc.

Assume you want a fully functional shop capable of producing nice quality furniture. I'm curious to hear what tools you'd like to have, not the brands.

Cheers!
    How big? That depends on a ton of things, like how much land you have, what you are going to be building, how many machines/tools, etc

I am currently building my last/final shop, it is a 28 X 28 building, I get half. swmbo gets the other half, here is my layout:

Shop Layout.JPG

After 30+ years woodworking I have discovered what works for me. For instance, I have no need of a jointer. Do that on the TS. Do not need a planer, use a flat panel sander instead. Do not do a lot of sheet goods so my TS can be up against the wall without a ton of space around it. BS is rarely used, so I put it in a corner. I use a RS a LOT, and I mean a LOT! So it is right near my bench. This shop would not work for a lot of people because of how they work and what they build.

Someone said build your shop twice as big as you think you need. I do not agree. If you spend a lot of time in a shop, not just puttering around, those big shops wear you out with all the walking around. Nevermind having to move stock continually. I would advise that you build in such a manner than you can expand easily if need be. For instance, you can pour a much larger slab than you need, put a shed roof over it and enjoy the shade. When you need to expand, wall it in, concrete is already done.

I would advise anyone to create overhead storage space. Mine has a set of stairs in the wife's shop going to an attic with 7' ceiling. Handy to store all sorts of rarely used things.

So, tell us what you want to be making and maybe we can all give you some tips?

Edit: I have built lots of nice furniture in my last shop that was layed out like this. Complete kitchen, three bedroom sets (plans from WoodSmith), lots of high end boxes, shelves, you name it.

I like Bill's thinking but a lot depends on whether your talking hobby or professional. If full time Id add loading dock, fork truck. Perhaps vacuum lift, CNC for sure. 20 and 30 amp receptacles wouldnt touch it. Well insulated and conditioned as others have said. Id probably start at 5-6k sq' for 1-2 people. The gantry would be a major MAJOR plus. No hobby level tools.

Ryan,

I am an amateur woodworker. I built a standalone 30'x24' shop. I wish it was bigger so I could have a dedicated finishing room.

10' ceilings are a must IMO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    It is always interesting to see how differently people work and therefor how differently they value things. I could work comfortably in a 20 x 30 space if I had a finishing room attached and a shed for the DC; I could stick a compressor out there too since I almost never use one. High ceilings allow room for ducting so I am good with that as well. Of course I have added . . . again . . . twice to my electrical plant even though I put in TWICE what I could EVER . . . POSSIBLY need. I would have a wood floor that allowed some bounce so I could lose all the floor mats I currently use to allow me to remain on my feet for extended periods. With the exception of in front of the scroll saw I have no stools in my shop; I'm there to work, I sit in the house ;-) I also don't need a computer in the shop. After 30-odd years in I.T. I go to the shop to get away from computers. I do like to have my music though. Natural light is all well and good but, good lighting of any kind will do for me. I use specific lamps when making or adjusting colorants based on the lighting of where piece I'm making will end up.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-18-2014 at 5:29 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If I were starting over ten years ago, would tear down the old pole building I set up shop in, and orient the building east and west, so I could have more south facing windows. Then I would pour a stem wall around the outside, and also every 12' so I could break my joists over a solid concrete wall. Then I would also pour a stem wall at 24' across the building, so one end could have a concrete floor. Would build trusses 36' wide, using 20' lumber, because you can have 4/12 roof with that much lumber. 20' lumber is much cheaper than longer lengths. And I have a book that details truss building, so would build my own. Would build the walls from 2x6 probably on 24" centers, 10' high. And I would box the building with waferboard, and then use metal for the outside. You can use the synthetic felt, and it seals around the screws. I'd probably go 50 long, maybe 60. The increased width over the 26' wide I have now would be really nice.

My dream shop would have a bathroom, lots of big windows, and walls and ceiling made from sound deadening materials.

I would also fix the fence to keep the cows from pooping all over the grass and driveway !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    What is a "DE system" ?
    My apologies.......Dust Extraction
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I was close. We usually call it DC or Dust Collection up here in the northern hemisphere over the pond, Chris.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Agreed with a lot of the above. Lots of electrical outlets, good lighting both fixtures and natural with length oriented E/W, wood floor with ducting underneath, dedicated finish room, DC and AC outside of main building, and plenty of closed storage i.e. limited open shelves. I'm in a 22'x19' and I build mostly furniture and cabinets which works for the most part, but finishing is a pain, and I don't have much room to store sheet goods/solid lumber.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last