Thread: Is cured CA "food safe"?

Is cured CA "food safe"?

I have just finished a cedar bowl in which I used CA to fill a crack in the bottom. My sister wants it for a charity auction at her church. I am reluctant to let it go without information to the end user about the finish and the existence of the CA if there is any health hazard caused by the CA. The crack was about 3 inches long and 1/16 at the widest. I filled it with coffee grounds and CA.

Everything I've read suggests that once CA is polymerized, it's pretty much harmless.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Did you put any other top coat finish on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    I have just finished a cedar bowl in which I used CA to fill a crack in the bottom. My sister wants it for a charity auction at her church. I am reluctant to let it go without information to the end user about the finish and the existence of the CA if there is any health hazard caused by the CA. The crack was about 3 inches long and 1/16 at the widest. I filled it with coffee grounds and CA.
    CA is used to glue wounded soldiers together in the field, and surgeons do the same in hospitals, doubt it would be a health hazard, what you think ??
    Have fun and take care

Dumb turners use it for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Dumb turners use it for that too.
    almost choked on my peanuts while reading that..........+1

I put on a coat of BLO. After it dried I filled the crack. Then I put on a second coat of BLO. I am thinking of a final coat of bees wax, but I could seal it with WOP if that would be safer. I don't worry about CA on the skin although I don't think you want to breathe the dust from sanding, or get in your eye. I just don't know that external sensitivity would be the same as swallowing particles that may get knocked off in use. Of course the amount would be minute.

Paul, Leo brings up a good point about CA being used to close wounds, so there isn't any concern about CA in the bloodstream! I would be more concerned about BLO than the CA glue! BLO is not a "food safe" finish. Of course the toxicity is minimal and reduces after is fully cures out, but it takes a long time for BLO to truly cure.

I used to use BLO a bunch, but after I discovered the very long cure time and that BLO will draw moisture (not to mention the possibility of the rags catching fire), I stopped using it. For a non food safe finish its Tung Oil (for a warm soft sheen) of WOP for a high gloss. Food safe is Walnut or mineral oil and beeswax.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks Scott, and others who responded. I normally use only mineral oil and wax for bowls that I know will be used for food. These bowls already had the BLO on them when my sister asked me to donate them. I think of BLO as being, like most finishes, safe after full cure. Since I don't know how they will be used I think I need to send along information about the finish and possible hazards.

Most finishes are inert after curing. It's the volatile compounds emitted during the cure that are not safe...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Please don't be confused--just because something is safe to use externally, does not mean it is safe to ingest, ie iodine, hydrogen-peroxide, rubbing alcohol, etc. These, and many other solutions, are used to treat open cuts, but I would not want to mix them with my food.

Cyanoacrylate and its cousins, methylmethacrylate (used to cement artificial joints in), and octylacrylate (used to seal skin in the field and during surgery), are all biologically inert once cured.

We (physicians) no longer use true CA for closing wounds because, as it cures, it generates a small amount of formaldehyde, which is theoretically toxic to tissues. I have personally used it on some rather dramatic cuts, in a pinch, without any apparent issues. Was used quite a bit during Vietnam.

as I said, once cured, it is completely safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Please don't be confused--just because something is safe to use externally, does not mean it is safe to ingest, ie iodine, hydrogen-peroxide, rubbing alcohol, etc. These, and many other solutions, are used to treat open cuts, but I would not want to mix them with my food.
    I want to clarify, that I did not specify that ALL finishes were inert once cured. I said that "most" finishes were inert once cured. That means they won't harm you even if ingested. If completely cured.
    I leave it up to you whether you do the research as to which finishes are toxic even if cured. There are several threads on this here on Sawmill Creek, and I'm sure you can get this information from manufacturers.
    If you just want to play it safe, then use mineral oil. That's what I do.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain