Thread: Removing shaper cutter bearing from spindle and general cleaning.

Removing shaper cutter bearing from spindle and general cleaning.

I have a Delta HD shaper with 1-1/4" spindle. I bought it used and the previous owner was using it for raised panels. There was a clear plastic guard on the spindle with a bearing. The bearing seems to be stuck. Under the bearing is another spacer and Amana raised panel cutter. What are my options for removing the bearing without damage to the spindle or cutter?

Also, what is the best way to clean in the cabinet? This is not a restoration job, but I want clean and re-lube the adjustment mechanism.

Thanks
    Mike

The bearing is only press fit on my guard. Can you not remove the cutter and spacer from spindle?

Hi, can you use a bearing puller under the cutter?

Drop of penetrating oil to break down the rust, take off the nut, raise the cutter above the table, put two pieces of wood of the same thickness under the cutter, lower the spindle. Do this gently, might require a little tap on the top of the spindle, proceed gently and slowly. I've gotten a few off that way. Usually just rust. In the event the owner spun the cutter w/o actually fully tightening the whole stack and welded the cutter/bearing to the spindle...start looking for a new spindle.

Peter, you are gentleman and a scholar! I got the bearing off in a few minutes. Below is a picture of some light rust on the spindle. What is the best way to smooth/remove this? I'm not sure how sensitive this will be for fitment of cutters, spacers, etc.
    IMAG0332.jpg

Next is a picture of inside the cabinet. Any recommendations on something to get all the wood dust and old lube off so I can free it and re-lubricate? Also, any idea on what the MDF spacer is for in the bottom of the picture?
    IMAG0333.jpg

Thanks,
    Mike

While I do not have a shaper, I do have a router table. Some of my bits have a light rust spot or 2 that may affect the fit in the collet. I just use some 0000 steel wool to rub the shank and remove the rust. A light coat of WD40 and you should be good to go.

fine steel wool should cleanup your surface rust - I can't imagine you'd be able to impact the spindle diameter and the fit of your cutters with hand applied steel wool even if you went at it for a while

hard to tell what that MDF spacer is doing from the picture but if i had to guess it is to add belt tension

I guess I was thinking emery cloth instead of steel wool. The steel wool makes sense and I will try that.

Erik, I was thinking the same thing on the spacer. I'm not too concernced about it, just curious. If I have belt issues, I will dig into it.

I measured spindle runout and it was basically nonexistant (the needle didn't move on my dial indicator). I was a little worried since it had a previous life in a cabinet shop.

I cleaned up the fence (light surface rust like the top) and will clean up underneath and polish the top some. I have a little wiring to do as it has some insulation missing. Looking forward to trying it out and getting the feeder hooked up next.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 11-19-2014 at 5:38 PM.

For the cabinet I usually vacuum, blow out with compressed air, then scrub the gears as best as possible with a nylon brush or old tooth brush, then apply white lithium spray lubricant. It dries non greasy and doesn't attract saw dust. For the rust, steel wool is fine, I usually use either very fine emery cloth or synthetic steel wool, might try some rust remover if it seem too bad. Its pretty hight up on the spindle, should not affect performance. Enjoy that shaper and work safe!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Don't use an oil or oily lubricant on shaper spindle nuts, shafts or on shaper cutters or router bits. It can cause slippage. Keep them dry and clean and take your cutters/bits out of the tool/ off the machine when done. Leaving them in/on provides a place for moisture to gather due to temperature differences and humidity- but you just saw thatUse a hard wax-like Butchers or Minwax on the outside only of your collet and only on the smooth shaft of your spindle, keeps water off and releases easy.

Not familiar with this model, but does it not have a nut on the bottom of the spindle so you can remove it?