Thread: Finishing laser engraved wood..

Finishing laser engraved wood..

I was curious if you guys have any tips or opinions on finishing wood for engraving.

I've seen people do it a couple ways.

1. Not at all. Finishing slows down production and usually isn't needed.
    2. Finish wood, mask, then engrave: I like this idea, but am not too keen on vaporizing urethane or whatever finish I'm going to use. Plus this leaves the engraved area non-finished.
    3. Finish wood after engraving: This is what I've been doing, but there are a few trade offs as I see it. First off, getting finish into the engraved area can make for a mucky mess. You can't sand it, since it's a 'groove'. No risk of creosote trashing your finish. It's quite time consuming though.

I primarily am doing engraving for artistic pieces, so the detail and finish is extremely important. In an idea world, I could finish it before engraving, then have a quick way to put a final coat on the wood. Maybe a spray on urethane for protection or shine.

Thoughts?
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Seems like you answered your own questions. Do what ever seems best for you.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Any other approaches work for you?
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

I use water base poly, finish first then engrave, then poly the engraved piece again. I have no issues engraving or cutting finished wood.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Jay

From time to time I do some rather large wood jobs. In every instance I insist that the wood be finished or i finish it myself. Most often I use a clear acrylic lacquer or sometimes a fast drying polyurethane spray.

If I'm going to colorfill after engraving I will usually mask the pieces but I prefer to use a clearcoat that's not alcohol soluble in those instances as I always use acrylic paint for colorfills.

I never do unfinished wood on my own though sometimes a customer will insist. If that happens they know what kind of clean up they're going to have. I usually turn down plywood jobs as I don't believe it produces acceptable results. (just my opinion)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Jay,
    I finish with a lite clear acrylic spray, mask with release tape, cut the outline of the engrave area, then weed out the masking where it will be engraved, then engrave. If I need to color fill I leave the mask on after engrave, color fill, then strip off the remaining masking. I'm only doing large pieces 20" or greater so the multi-step process works fine for me.
    The masking helps reduce any further cleanup of atomized sap that inevitably gets on an unmasked area.
    Good luck!

Pete

stain,seal,scuff,engrave,color fill,clean,lacquer(finish top coat)