Thread: What type of Insulation?

What type of Insulation?

Can anyone identify this insulation?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like used dirty unfaced fiberglass.

It looks to be a type of Mineral Wool insulation.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_47490-41698-...b&kpid=3665470

It does look like a mineral wool type product. Either that or mold covered fiberglass!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

This is from new construction under way so it must be mineral wool. Any advantages/disadvantages over fiberglas? Thinking of using in my workshop.

Think you just need to shop. Don't think they have Menards stores in Texas, so you will have to check out stores locally. I use fiberglass because it is a good product, available in about any size you could need. Only downside I see is the need to wear protective clothes and a n95 mask to keep the fibers out of your lungs. You can blow flat ceilings with either loose fiberglass or cellulose, just buy the insulation from the least expensive source and use their blower. Most companies that sell the stuff rent a blower and will deliver it all out to your job, then when you are done have them pick it up. You will need someone to help, need one guy in the attic and another to load the machine. Be sure to put stops around the attic so the insulation doesn't slide out into your overhang.

there's a product called roxul that you can get at lowes special order that is rock wool. its nice to work with. not nasty like fiberglass.

The advantages of a mineral or rock wool insulations are they have higher r-values per inch, are more dense allowing less air flow through them, resist water absorption better and pests. Downside is they are more expensive, maybe 25-30% more. Roxul is a great product and most lumber yards will have it and will often have better pricing than the box stores if you buy in bulk, free delivery too. Still need a mask with theses products, less itchy, but have nasty particles. Also some mineral wool products are a mixed with fiberglass. Typically an insulation company can do your entire house for you at the same cost that you could by the product. If you go with fiberglass ask for high- density, which gives you better r-value for near the same money.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Looks like the same fiberglass insulation used in my shop. Just a different color.

I found more info on the insulation. It is made by Knauf and it is called EcoBatt. Apparently made from sand, so it's a mineral wool and the brown color is from an organic material rather than a petroleum base. Looks promising.

http://www.ecobatt.us/eco_batt.html

Eco Batt is a fiberglass insulation. Its made from sand(glass) and recycled glass. Has a different binder that is Eco friendly. But it is a fiberglass insulation.
    Check out there You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMiGvuW5bA

Interesting. I've always heard of glass wool referred to as mineral (silica)wool. I realize fiberglass is made from glass fibers but had assumed they were made in a different process. I have been in error assuming they were different and it is in fact a fiberglass product.
    Last edited by Gilbert Vega; 11-21-2014 at 5:50 PM.