Thread: Swapped an iron: Stanley adjustments

Swapped an iron: Stanley adjustments

Thought I'd try something with a pair of BIG planes. Both have a 2-3/8" wide iron. One was a stock Stanley from a T19 #5-1/2. The other is a Berg iron, sitting under a Union(?) chipbreaker, and sitting in a Union made DE6c.
    IMAG0059.jpg
    DE6c on the left, with the T19 iron/chipbreaker on board, the Jumbo jack has the berg on board. Note the two chip breakers. The slots are at the same height above the iron's edge. Frogs are set up the same
    IMAG0060.jpg
    Frog faces are coplanar with the ramp in the casting. I like the irons to be supported all the way down to the edge. When i place the lever caps back on their own planes
    IMAG0061.jpg
    I found that the bolts holding the lever caps needed adjustments. The DE6c needed to be tightened down quite a bit. The #5-1/2 needed the bolt to be let out a bit, just to get the cap under the head of the bolt. Adjusted the irons to take a fine shaving. Both adjuster wheels are about the same distance from the frog
    IMAG0062.jpg
    Not a whole lot of thread left on either one. Made sure that the edges were straight, and not angled any
    IMAG0063.jpg
    Yeah...need to clean things up a might.
    So, now I have the "wrong" irons/chipbreakers in each plane. Any differnces? None that I can see. Not sure why the lever cap bolts needed so much adjustment. Slots in each chipbreaker were the same distance from the mouth opening. Yet.....now the DE6c has more adjustment room on the wheel, and the wheel stays in contact with the yoke a bit better. Iron doesn't seem to be a loose, doesn't need the lever super tight to stay put. The Jumbo Jack? Seems quite happy as is.

Maybe the chipbreaker is a Stanley on both irons? Will try these two out for a while, and see how they hold up. Looks like I need to clean the planes up a bit, too.

Stay tuned
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-19-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Was just curious. Seemed to help both planes a bit.

Was wondering IF the chipbreaker FOR the DE6c that came with it was from another plane? The "original" one had two slots. Got rid of that one. The one in use might be a Stanley one?

These are BIG, HEAVY planes. Not quite as big as the #8c T9 I had ( and sold, was just too big for the work I do) but, they are big enough.

The DE6c was a bit loosey, had to adjust with a hammer from time to time, as the iron would back up a hair. Maybe NOW, it will stay put? The Jumbo Jack might be improved as well, with the Berg iron on board.

Other than that, there isn't much difference between these two, other than about 3" in length. The sides of the DE6c seem to be a might taller, too. Bigger casting?