Thread: Did Sears drop a bunch of their Table Saws ?

Did Sears drop a bunch of their Table Saws ?

Looked at the Sears website, and don't see as many of their Table Saws like they had a couple of years ago. What is going on with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Looked at the Sears website, and don't see as many of their Table Saws like they had a couple of years ago. What is going on with them?
    Sears has been on the verge of bankruptcy for some time....perhaps this is part of their effort to streamline by getting rid of low profit tools? Just a guess.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

What Scott said...Sears is in deep financial doo-doo right now. Or is that "again"?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What Scott said...Sears is in deep financial doo-doo right now. Or is that "again"?
    ...or is it "still"?...!

I'm seeing quite a few table saws on their website now. Their site is often down, or incorrect.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

i see they are using a different riving/safety cover. This one looks like it would work a lot better than the one on the manual cover.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-10-in-contractor-saw-sears-21833/p-00921833000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

cover.jpg
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 11-20-2014 at 9:24 AM.

You'd have to be nuts to buy anything proprietary from Sears at this point that you can't afford to just throw away if (when) it breaks. Sears Holdings is having a perpetual garage sale with anything worth a dime on the auction block and the cash from those sales is barely keeping them afloat. Soon they are going to run out of stuff to sell and then its over.

Almost every c'man TS I've used felt like it had been dropped at some point.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    i see they are using a different riving/safety cover. This one looks like it would work a lot better than the one on the manual cover.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-10-in-contractor-saw-sears-21833/p-00921833000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

cover.jpg
    Two different models....the one on the manual is a 22114 (by Steel City/Orion), the link is for a 21833.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

It is really too bad, growing up, my dad used almost exclusively craftsman tools, so I have a fondness for them, but now I won't even look at them. Really too bad Sears has fallen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tax View Post
    It is really too bad, growing up, my dad used almost exclusively craftsman tools, so I have a fondness for them, but now I won't even look at them. Really too bad Sears has fallen so far.
    I think for us older gents that was the case. I've got a craftsman router from the 60's that is still working. I would not touch a craftsman power tool now if it was given to me. To be honest, I think before long, sears will be only the appliance outlets stores. I don't think much else sells.

Our Sears was closed in the last round of closings two years ago? I forget.

Then this year a local business man opened a Sears Appliance store. Last week, our 23 year old Kenmore refrigerator died. We currently have 3 young grandchildren, DIL, their dog and cat living with us temporarily. We have a much smaller refrigerator in our basement utility room. With the kids here, we need two refrigerators!

We found a Samsung model my wife wanted. Our local Home Depot could order it but they couldn't guarantee it would deliver before Thanksgiving. We have 12 people coming for Thanksgiving dinner and need that larger refrigerator. Our local HD is supplied out of the Portland warehouse. The Spokane HD has a warehouse in Spokane. We called the Spokane HD and they still couldn't guarantee it would deliver before Thanksgiving even if we agreed to pay $138 long distance delivery fee.

We went to the newly opened Sears Appliance store. We had to order the one we wanted and it delivered flawlessly 6 days later. It is working well.

Even though some of the Kenmore's were better rated, I wouldn't buy one now. It's sad to see the demise of Sears. It's a case of bad high level management decisions made a couple decades ago IMO.

BTW....my wife wanted and picked a Samsung 4 door French door model with a stainless steel front. With the opening between the wall and the end of a counter being narrow, we were limited to what we could choose. We have had it a couple days and it's working flawlessly BUT.......she came down stairs while I was listening to some music with my headphones to tell me of her discovery ....her one complaint? The stainless steel front won't work with refrigerator magnets!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-20-2014 at 3:49 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If we were to buy a major appliance, I would look at Bosch.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ken, a lot of SS formulations are not very kind to magnets. I consider that a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ken, a lot of SS formulations are not very kind to magnets. I consider that a good thing.

My feelings?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If we were to buy a major appliance, I would look at Bosch.
    Ooh, not me. I have assisted techs on enough Bosch dishwashers to know that service is a nightmare, and yes they do break, too. That has been a few years ago, though.