Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing mold

Killing mold

Situation existing is contaminated drywall around some windows and below some skylights that have leaked in the past.

Result is some type of white mold bloom - a powdery white organic substance - growing around some cracks in the corners of the window returns and other places. I've been told that this drywall (wet wall really) has been replaced in the past but the mold continues. Doesn't seem to spread (or if so very slowly) just covers an 3" or 4" area in some creases and corners and literally blooms out in a white fluff.

I know for a fact that the leaks have been stopped so I'm guessing that the mold is just an active culture. Don't know anything else.
    I'm guessing that if I remove the infected drywall and use some type of mold kill on the wood behind and areas around the infection that I should then be able to redrywall and never see the mold again. This assumes that the area behind is dry and not continuing to be a suitable base for mold to be active. I'm planning on let it dry out for several months to be sure it is dry after I treat the areas and before I add new drywall.

• Anyone no more specifically what I'm up against?

• What to use to kill the mold?

• If I'm analyzing the problem correctly?

Thanks for any advice.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Heres a great page on killing mold hope this helps.

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The usual wisdom with mold is to remove the moisture source. Mold needs water to live. If it is still living, it is getting water somehow. So the fix for mold is to make sure the leaks or condensation or whatever is providing the water gets stopped.

Concrobium

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Concrobium
    Had to look that one up. I'm reading that I should get a Haz Mat team in to do this work . And as I reading from the link I'm wondering
    if this stuff is NOT MOLD but rather efflorescence . More to read and to test. Thanks.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    And as I reading from the link I'm wondering if this stuff is NOT MOLD but rather efflorescence .
    This was going to be my suggestion... I think you're seeing minerals, not mold.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have never seen or even heard of white colored mold. I don't believe what you are seeing is alive. Like Dan, I believe you are on to something with the idea it is efflorescence.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have never seen or even heard of white colored mold. I don't believe what you are seeing is alive. Like Dan, I believe you are on to something with the idea it is efflorescence.
    I will know for certain tomorrow but I can tell you that this stuff does spread. The "infected" areas have gotten bigger and the stuff is not just a stain but is puffy like a white moss. Anyone else sen this on drywall? Nothing special about this wall cover just your basic board from the lumber yard.
    WQJudge

Post some pictures, Sam! We like pictures!

If it is mold, try some cleaning vinegar (6% as opposed to 5%) usually found at wally world. Spritz it on full strength.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

By chance, did the drywall come from China?
    That crap has been blamed for all kinds of troubles.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Killing mold is not possible. Like the post above said, eliminate the conditions that it needs to grow is your only answer. Mold is everywhere, its in the air we breath, and once it finds a place comfortable to raise a family it moves right in and propagates.

A good read is http://joelstiburek.com/ this guys book on houses in Northern climates. He explains how these things happen and what we need to do to build an efficient house that is also safe to live in.

Larry

Of course mold can be killed--its immortal? You can kill off infestations of it but I agree that the conditions in which it thrives need to be removed or it shall return.

Photos tomorrow. I'm going in…
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post

There are plenty of white(ish) molds around. I intentionally grow a white velvety type (Penicillium nalgiovense) on home made salami. I just don't know if white molds are common in the damp, dark recesses of our homes. I've only seen the black variety.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)