Thread: Spalted & stained Silver Maple bowl 14.5"

Smile Spalted & stained Silver Maple bowl 14.5"

I recently returned this shallow Silver Maple bowl, and contrary to the often dirty kind of look this soft Maple can have, this one does look much nicer IMO .

Got the rim turned shallowly concave on the bottom, feels good holding it

It has a couple of coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it as the finish.

Any and all comments welcome

Stained & Spalted Silver Maple.jpg Stained & Spalted Silver Maple profile.jpg Stained & Spalted Silver Maple bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Nice form, well done as always. Leo did this have stain in addition to the tung oil? All the silver maple I have seen has a fair amount of grey tones.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    Nice form, well done as always. Leo did this have stain in addition to the tung oil? All the silver maple I have seen has a fair amount of grey tones.
    Thanks for your response James , the color is the natural color of the wood, no other tinting done, and only Polymerized Tung oil as a finish added 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

You are right - Great color! I also like seeing the zone lines as that always adds interest to a piece. Nice job on the rim/undercut area Leo! Great way to add unique detail to a piece and NOT have it interfere with the overall curve! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    You are right - Great color! I also like seeing the zone lines as that always adds interest to a piece. Nice job on the rim/undercut area Leo! Great way to add unique detail to a piece and NOT have it interfere with the overall curve! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks you for the kind reply Steve
    Have fun and take care

Real nice, now just make a lid to fit.
    Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Guinn View Post
    Real nice, now just make a lid to fit.
    I don’t like to cover up that nice color and grain Rex , Thanks for your comment 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

Its been along time since I commented on one of your bowls Leo, but as always your work is outstanding. That is more color then I have ever seen in silver maple. When I did turn last I took advantage of some free silver maple but it was so badly stained that I didn't do much with it. I have seen a few in here by you and they all say returned, does this mean you are finally going through that huge stock pile of rough turned bowls you shoed when you moved up north?
    Darren in Oshawa

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Jamieson View Post
    Its been along time since I commented on one of your bowls Leo, but as always your work is outstanding. That is more color then I have ever seen in silver maple. When I did turn last I took advantage of some free silver maple but it was so badly stained that I didn't do much with it. I have seen a few in here by you and they all say returned, does this mean you are finally going through that huge stock pile of rough turned bowls you shoed when you moved up north?
    Hi Darren, thank you for commenting , fresh cut healthy Silver Maple is usually real white wood but for the heartwood, can have some pink and brown in there, but let it sit some time and it starts to degrade quite quickly and stain with a rather dirty look to it.

Yes I am returning the pieces I did bring along with me, around a thousand pre-turned pieces, the problem up here is that though Red Maple does grow here it takes a long time and growing within the evergreen forest that gets cut over every 40 years or so, everything would be cut over, everything, the Maples were also cut and then shoot out again but more like a shrub and don’t grow fast, by the time the evergreens and poplar is cut again those Maples are but a few inches across and used for firewood if cut again.

Other than that we have White/Paper Birch and the different Poplar species trees, there are some places with Black Ash, not right in my area, and then we have things like Mountain Ash and Alder, rather shrubby wood, and some spindly Pin Cherry.

Then the other thing that is done, is that the bush is sprayed (aircraft) with a herbicide that kills or stunts everything but the needle leafed trees (evergreen softwood) the excuse/reason is that they have to remove the competing vegetation
    Have fun and take care